TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Plastic push-in vent on '69 differential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic push-in vent on '69 differential
    Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 6:45pm
Hello there,

I have a question regarding the off-white plastic push-in vent located on the passenger side differential tube and routed up to the body via a rubber hose - basically, I need one since mine broke off. It is similar in looks to a GM # 14005089 A/C push in vent, except that it has a hole in the center and a barbed nipple for the rubber hose.

Any help in locating new/used/NOS one, a p/n, etc. would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 8:58am
It's just a vent for the axle tube. Check 4x4 sites/shops as they nearly all use a vent on a hose to keep water out of the axle. Jeep is a good place to start! 
Frank Swygert
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 9:26am
Thanks for the reply. I have checked out some of the 4x4 Jeep forums after a Google search and what they do to fix one of these types of vents is they drill and tap the axle for a brass nipple fitting, something I'd rather not do. Also, the plastic vent type originally installed on Jeeps appears different - it's a post with a vent cap on the end whereas the type used on my '69 AMX is a two-piece type, with a plastic base w/ "ears" that pushes into the hole on the axle and then the center nipple fitting fits into this base, pushing out the ears and locking it in place. The hose then fits onto the nipple end of the center fitting.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 2:50pm
good luck, I looked for years and found 1 not long ago. If I remember it cost me 30$ plus some shipping. I think hens teeth are easier to find.

You might want to post in the wanted section.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 8:27pm
J3187999 is what you want. Do a web search and you should find multiple sources.

Edited by kirkwood - Jun/18/2014 at 8:34pm
AMO Newsletter Editor
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 6:13am
Excellent - thanks!
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 1:22pm
I searched that part #
Go to https://tinyurl.com/lghbex3
for a start.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 7:27pm
I just bought one of those J3187999 vents from a 4x4
Shop
Ill know soon.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 7:52pm
Let us know when you receive it - going solely by the diagram on the site I'm not sure it's correct. I will upload a photo to Photobucket and show everyone what I currently have. Btw, this same plastic push-in attachment is used for the fuel vent in the trunk, attached to the gas tank neck.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 8:06pm
I've got these - they are the right thing if you order the above number. The replacement number that starts with a 5 is not correct.
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic