TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Period correct joint sealer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineRusset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Period correct joint sealer
    Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 12:41pm
What did they use to seal the metal joints in the trunk compartment in the ‘60’s ?
I’m restoring my ‘65 Rambler Classic and I flicked all the old stuff off. Looks like putty we used when replacing window panes with wood frames.

Thanks
-----------------------
-65 Rambler Classic 660 - 4dr AT
-68 Rebel 770 - 4 dr AT
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 8:24pm
I don't know what they used in 65, but I'd recommend seam sealer now. Great stuff! I'm guessing in 65 it was baby seal juice with lead additive. 
Gremmy Power!!!
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 5:36pm
I use Eastwood brushable sealer and it looks reasonably close to original.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2018 at 2:11am
I don't know what they used in my 66' but it was the most god awful creation I have ever seen. Not only was it all cracked and brittle and really hard to remove but it seems to be porous and act like a giant sponge and all the metal under the sealer was rusted. Some I could simply sand blast other spots like in the cowl area I had to split the seam and weld in new pieces of steel. My 63 chevy had standard black brushable seam sealer that was still holding up reasonably well, the steel underneath it was still in factory primer...

I got as much of that stuff off I could and would never dream of putting the same product back on. It would have been better if they used nothing. I suspect it was an early synthetic product that was just a bit ahead of its time.

PS: After experimenting with the best way to remove it. Heat seems to soften it right up even the hard as rock stuff though it is pretty flammable so be careful.

Edited by First_Gear - Jan/26/2018 at 2:14am
MarineRusset View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineRusset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2018 at 7:18am
Ok, what about the drip rail channels? Would Eastwood’s brushable joint sealer work there as well ?
-----------------------
-65 Rambler Classic 660 - 4dr AT
-68 Rebel 770 - 4 dr AT
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 10:24am
I've used regular 3M seam sealer from our body shop, works well, but at $22 a tube, I've found that PolyseamSeal polyurethane clear or white caulk in tubes works as well or better. And it's $4.97at Menards or Lowes. It's paintable, stays pliable and won't attract moisture like some of the older non-poly based sealers. You can smear it with a finger or a paddle and it looks just like the seams in my 68 AMX. And it sticks like crazy. Another good choice for an adhesive type caulk is GE Lexcel, also in a tube. Will NEVER let go, so make sure you're done with whatever you put it on!
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
thmil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thmil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2019 at 11:01pm
Hi Terry, Can you provide the exact name or part number for the PolyseamSeal polyurethane?
Thanks, Tim
thmil
1967 American Rogue Convertible
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic