TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Penske-Donohue Javelin Replica

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2017 at 8:10am
Awesome car Wayne.  I also saw the car at Kenosha, your workmanship is awesome.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2017 at 12:39pm
Does that bar tie into the roll bar Wayne? Does your bar need a tech sticker like drag racing bars?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2017 at 1:58pm
The pictures of the front end, could have been used in a recent discussion on cut troughs. I spoke up about doing a bar setup very much like yours for reinforcement. Good pictures, and excellent work. Here I thought it was all completed before your post updates of recent.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Does that bar tie into the roll bar Wayne? Does your bar need a tech sticker like drag racing bars?

It doesn't tie into the cage Tony.  The cage and other safety related stuff will get a "sticker" when the car goes through a tech inspection.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 10:45am
Thanks Wayne, so it gets stickered at every race or does it have to be done annually etc? I would think those bars would be required to be tied in so in a crash they don't turn into spears into the cabin.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 1:04pm

I would think those bars would be required to be tied in so in a crash they don't turn into spears into the cabin.

I'm curious about this too - in my days in SCCA tech, the tie-in would be mandatory.  Additionally, if attaching to the firewall only, there's very limited, if any torsional strength to be gained by removing the troughs and replacing essentially the same assembly with a tube.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by 73Gremlin401 73Gremlin401 wrote:

I would think those bars would be required to be tied in so in a crash they don't turn into spears into the cabin.

I'm curious about this too - in my days in SCCA tech, the tie-in would be mandatory.  Additionally, if attaching to the firewall only, there's very limited, if any torsional strength to be gained by removing the troughs and replacing essentially the same assembly with a tube.

Ditto with the two replies with the bar. i plan on doing the nascar method... as it places a connection at the front wheel corner and at the roll cage.

any other way would just be like stock without the crumple zone. 

nascar bodies have an arched type bar. Not completly straight. so in direct impacts the front will buckle. plus put more strength in reinfocing against body flex at the front.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2017 at 12:08pm
Great pics...awesome car! Appreciate the detailed pics of the underside also...I always wondered what type of suspension/handling set-ups they were running "back in the day". Might like to take one of the Hornets in that direction at some point.    
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 3:16pm
What brand of a dry sump pump are you using?
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 3:18pm
With the dry sump oil system what brand of the engine oil pan is being used?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic