TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Penske-Donohue Javelin Replica

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 12:42pm
The scales are without driver and zero fuel.  
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by target target wrote:

I agree Wayne has made a lot of mechanical changes to suit his tastes and usage but I don't think it should go unsaid that underdog built it. Credit where credit is due.

And who is not giving underdog credit?  What has that got to do with this thread?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Coloradoamx Coloradoamx wrote:

Originally posted by target target wrote:

I agree Wayne has made a lot of mechanical changes to suit his tastes and usage but I don't think it should go unsaid that underdog built it. Credit where credit is due.

And who is not giving underdog credit?  What has that got to do with this thread?

Maybe indirectly peeps can make assumption that underdog had nothing to do with the car. I had no clue until it was brought to attention.

Here I thought Coloradoamx was the only one with a well done repleca 71 TA Javelin, as threads like this assist in providing information along with being generous in sharing their car with others.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 3:05pm
Like any car that's used to do a job at a high level, it just evolves.
That jungle gym inside the car sure accounts for some weight.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 6:49pm

Wayne has always credited the original build to the builder. He keeps doing significant upgrades to what was a great car when he got it.

Thanks for the updates on what you're doing to the car Wayne.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by crazyamc crazyamc wrote:

The SCCA Trans Am rules were very specific on mods and such....  "most" people consider '70 the ultimate year, since 6 manufacturers were fully involved.   1970 was also a year of big change-   mainly the single four barrel rule, the 3200# (full of fuel- mandated 22 gallon cell, gas 6.33 pounds per gallon..  140#'s of gas)....     so a weight of 3050 empty would be a "perfect world", but difficult and expensive to get to legally...     Legally, at the time, 70-71, front and rear glass was real glass, (70 required roll up side windows also)  a working wiper motor, all brake calipers were cast iron except for the Hurst/Airhearts.....      early cars, (68-69 stuff) had a lot of acid-dipped factory stuff, as the rules for then was 2850# empty (or 3000# full of fuel)....      That increase in later years  of basically 200# was supposed to help defer costs to the independent racers with smaller budgets; it's EXPENSIVE to make a race car light!  The lucky racers were the few with ex-factory 68 and 69 cars which were "underweight".... they got to add it wherever they needed.....     Trans Am RULES!!    Ken

Ken...In reading the unfair advantage, the 71 car used Girling calipers; four piston on all four corners.  As far as I can tell, these are the ones used:

Will the vintage classes accept these?  I put Wilwoods on the car, but if I can get the correct Girling calipers, I'll make the jump.

Wayne
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 5:08pm
I don't have my unfair advantage with me, but if I remember correctly, Donohue talks about the Girlings, and that is the brand of booster stuff used... but I can't remember ever seeing any pic of a caliper on a Javelin, or anything else, that wasn't a common Ford, Chevy, whatever,  except for the aluminum Hurst/Airhearts, which debuted in '70...       I'm certain that it was the first year Matador that Donohue installed  the Porsche 917 Panzer calipers on, then trounced the competition in the first race at Riverside in '72..       I'm also pretty sure vintage clubs fall into 2 groups-   modern, aftermarket calipers are fine; or, the more strict "cast iron only" .....   are those things really 5K per wheel?!?!   Ken  
Ronnie Kaplan Engineering :)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 7:31pm
This article will furnish some history on the 71 car's brakes.  It had a Girling remote in-line booster, which I have replicated and have working, but the article speaks to the rest of the system.  The calipers were also Girling, and the rotors were Lincoln-Mercury.  My understanding was that they put an AMC part number on them, but they were actually from a 917 Porsche.  By the way, The $5K is for all four calipers (what a deal!).  They also have a full system that includes the rotors too 

crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2016 at 7:43pm
My guess would be their rotors would be too big for a 15" wheel...    and the caliper on the yellow RWR car in the article looks to me like the big Ford Lincoln 4 piston- but I'm not positive...    Believe me, I'm rooting for you getting to build (and race it) with all the uber-cool bits!!!  but check with whoever you're gonna run with- it's crazy how some of this stuff is decided...     Billet hubs with lugs on the backside for rotors is fairly simple..       Keep after it!!   Ken
Ronnie Kaplan Engineering :)
klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2016 at 2:04pm
I would think RMVR would be very receptive to this car....minus the Doug Nash/Richmond.

klvn8r

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic