TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Penske-Donohue Javelin Replica

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2016 at 6:29pm
The SCCA Trans Am rules were very specific on mods and such....  "most" people consider '70 the ultimate year, since 6 manufacturers were fully involved.   1970 was also a year of big change-   mainly the single four barrel rule, the 3200# (full of fuel- mandated 22 gallon cell, gas 6.33 pounds per gallon..  140#'s of gas)....     so a weight of 3050 empty would be a "perfect world", but difficult and expensive to get to legally...     Legally, at the time, 70-71, front and rear glass was real glass, (70 required roll up side windows also)  a working wiper motor, all brake calipers were cast iron except for the Hurst/Airhearts.....      early cars, (68-69 stuff) had a lot of acid-dipped factory stuff, as the rules for then was 2850# empty (or 3000# full of fuel)....      That increase in later years  of basically 200# was supposed to help defer costs to the independent racers with smaller budgets; it's EXPENSIVE to make a race car light!  The lucky racers were the few with ex-factory 68 and 69 cars which were "underweight".... they got to add it wherever they needed.....     Trans Am RULES!!    Ken
Ronnie Kaplan Engineering :)
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2016 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Is 59% the target for front bias?

Don't really have a target, but we played with weight to simulate a full fuel cell (the tank was empty when I took the picture) and it was 53%.  It is what it is at this point.  I'm not making it an active racer, just a track day or two from time to time.  We also replaced and re-routed all the brake lines.  All the lines were previously single flared and were leaking.  I drove the car a bit today after the work was complete, and the car doesn't even come close to being the same car.  Huge difference.  I brought it home this afternoon.  
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 12:29am
That is such a gorgeous car.  I remember seeing it in Kenosha and spent a lot of time admiring your work.

And speaking of the comments about 1970 T/A season a couple posts ago, one of the highlights of my life was watching Parnelli Jones and Donohue fight it out from the top of turn 6 at Riverside in 1970.  My dad traveled out of the country a lot on business in those days so my mom took me.  Not her cup of tea, I'm sure, but she was a really good sport and seemed to enjoy it too.   On my way to my own SCCA race at Willow Springs in the 90s I went by Riverside to see what was left. They had torn it down by this point and put the shopping center in. The only think that remained was a bit of the pit wall and a little bit of where turn 9 was.  So much history just plowed under... it was really sad. 

Edited by CamJam - Apr/15/2016 at 12:36am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Holeshot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 1:10am
Even IF these were outlawed by '71, would STILL be worthy of being in that engine bay! I have the SS/AMX Hurst-Airheart front disc setep & engine crossmember with the drop out section as well..

|'69 AMX BBO 390 9.88 qtr. | '71 AMX 401 w/Richmond 5-spd | 2012 Hemi Challenger R/T 6-spd w/Sidewinders | Michigan 49120|
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 9:32am
Wayne, you've done an amazing job in re-creation....  the power front brakes only system- per the original... wow!!!        I promise you,  build a vintage legal 305, put the Hurst/Airhearts on it,  if you only make 1 vintage race a year- you won't regret it...  because it will still be an awesome track day car!!!     Don't limit yourself...        Also, I can't thank you enough for the effort on getting me my block!!    Money and work should start any day now; I've already brought home the a nice shell to start on the tub...     '69 Kaplan car!!  yahoo!!     Ken
Ronnie Kaplan Engineering :)
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 5:49pm
Thanks Ken.  I have to admit, it was a bugger getting that in-line booster bled.  It took forever to get all the air out of it and get a hard pedal.  But now it really works well, especially with the dual master cylinders.  Tilton helped me spec the size of the master cylinders because the front has a different bore than the back.  Below is a picture of the remote in-line booster set up like the actual Penske-Donohue Javelin

Edited by Coloradoamx - Apr/15/2016 at 8:28pm
79amxv8 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79amxv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 8:27pm
Got to love those classic Trans Am cars! Great job, it is beautiful.
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 12:08am
Thanks for showing this beauty.  I like it.  I like it a lot!
Faster is Better
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 10:44am
Looking at your scale results,interesting and very different from mine. Was that WITH Driver?

My car, 1969 Javelin street car, full interior, full of fuel without driver is 3,181 with a 53.7% weight on the front.

BTW, saw this in Kenosha, LOVE IT, and probably more fun to own this than the original.

Edited by 343sharpstick - May/06/2016 at 10:51am
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2016 at 12:08pm
I agree Wayne has made a lot of mechanical changes to suit his tastes and usage but I don't think it should go unsaid that underdog built it. Credit where credit is due.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic