TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

PCV experiment with low vacuum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCV experiment with low vacuum
    Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:18pm

A year or two back I initiated a thread regarding some oil consumption issues that I suspect were PCV related. I am running the Group 19 camshaft and it has low vacuum characteristics. The engine has about 12,000 miles and has been consistent since newly built with oil consumption.

I get about 10-11 inches at idle and about 14-15 inches at a steady cruise. PCV's are vacuum controlled and changing the cam can affect it's performance. In checking the chart in the 1970 TSM, it seems likely that the PCV valve is flowing around 20% more than it should at cruise and 40% or more at idle. I have been losing a quart about every 400 miles or so and the signs point to it being PCV related. I have the correct baffle under my R4B and a full metal pan gasket. Valve seals are good.

AMC PCV's are all the same and are designed to work with a stock cam, probably pulling around 20 inches of vacuum. After looking all over for a spring of similar dimensions to the oem one but with a ligher pressure and failing miserably, I gave up. I took a stock PCV apart and decided to modify the spring. Using a Dremel tool I shaved it down a bit and reassembled it. My very scientific method was to take a small bottle of Tabasco sauce and put it on the spring. In stock form the spring settled about 1/8". After I shaved it a bit it settled about 1/2" under my Tabasco bottle. Fortunately, my wife did not spice her dinner up or my comparison would have been thrown off!

I am going to try it out this spring, since the snow is finally mostly gone, and see what happens to my oil consumption. I have noticed in my initial run that the idle is a bit low. I wonder if that might not be because of lesser flow at idle bringing the idle down. A stock engine at idle is pulling roughly 1.5 cfm through the PCV but with my vacuum signal means I am likely pulling about 2.5 cfm. This may have brought the idle up a bit.

Any thoughts are appreciated and if anyone is interested I will post any noticeable effects of the changes in PCV. I suspect there are a few people out there who are experiencing the effects of running a stock PCV with a radical engine. Other makes have several options for variously rated PCV's, but as usual AMC'ers have to improvise or work with what we have!

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by ccowx - Apr/20/2018 at 10:42pm
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 10:01pm
I wonder if this fully adjustable PCV would help out with your vacuum tuning?
http://mewagner.com/?p=444
Faster is Better
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 10:41pm
I am sure it would for a non restoration application. I have seen this before and with some adaptation it would work like a hot darn. It is basically doing what I have done with much less trouble and more adjustability.

I am really thinking for those that want a stock appearance and/or don't want to blow over $100 on a PCV valve.

Chris
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 8:13am
Chris,

That is a neat idea and approach.  I know there could be a number of reasons why your idle speed is lower but a decrease in PCV flow would be one of them.  Will be interesting to see what your oil consumption is with the changes. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 10:33am
Post your analogies and results please.

I'm interested
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 11:11am
Bit more info. The chart I am referring to is on page 6-5 in the emissions section of the 1970 TSM. It gives flow rates of the stock PCV valves at different vacuum levels. If you take a look at the chart you will see that at my vacuum levels the valve is not fully closing. I am experiencing oil consumption, with all 8 plugs having a slight level of darkening due to oil fouling. The breather in the air cleaner is dry and the engine new-ish, so I doubt the rings in all eight are gone, nor does there seem to be excessive blowby. This is why I suspect that the oil is being sucked into the intake tract.

It is going to take a little bit of normal driving to get a sense of how this is affecting it, and it is still pretty cold here, so bear with me. Once I have done enough driving to have some results I will post them.

Thanks!

Chris

Edited by ccowx - Apr/21/2018 at 11:24am
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 3:09pm
I did a post back about 6 Pages ago. 69 390 using oil low vacuum. Interested in what your outcome is going to be I ended up taking my motor apart finding out it had no baffle or pan gasket. I did have a cam and I do have low vacuum. I think I found some vacuum leaks in the process haven't put a gauge on it yet. I did get it started again and it does smoke out the one side I'm assuming that it is trapped oil all through the exhaust system. So my next step is to get the tag on it and drive it a little bit keep track of the oil consumption. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking it's the same thing that you're talking about that vacuum intake sucking oil up. I read some people use canisters some people put steel wool down in there to slow the oil from splashing up just not sure at this point until I can put the car on the road and watching this post to see if somebody else has the same problem if mine stop smoking when I drive it I'll repost it
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 3:53pm
Dirtydog,

It will be interesting to see what happens with your motor. I did the whole no baffle, pan gasket thing at one point, because I had an under manifold oiling line. The thing to do in 1989! Now I have taken it out and put all the original stuff back. That has helped a lot and I am sure you will find the same.

According to the chart I mentioned, the PCV does not fully close until around 14", so if your vacuum is below that it may be part of the problem.

Please keep us posted on your results as well!

Thanks!

Chris

PS: The adjustable PCV above might be a great solution for you.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 6:32pm
Just talking here, not saying I know, but a Lower Vacuum would REDUCE PCV air flow volume would it not?  Thought the PCV was a "weighted, restricted flow valve"?  Meaning there is a Restrictor built into the valve to determine the Air Flow Volume at a given vacuum drop AND a "Poppet Weight" that delays the onset of air flow until a given minimum vacuum level is reached?  Which also closes and stops PCV Air Flow before manifold vacuum drops too low...  So wouldn't than result in LESS PCV air flow with a larger camshaft and lower Manifold Vacuum Levels both at Idle and Cruising engine speeds?  Not saying I "know", just asking.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 6:50pm
The chart and accompanying pictures in the TSM show it pretty well. Taking one apart also helps! Here is how it works:

The poppet weight is completely loose, with no spring acting on it, at the beginning of it's travel. The vacuum will lift it off it's seat at about 2" and it gives max flow at 4-6" of vacuum. At 6" vacuum the poppet contacts the spring and now it is fighting both it's own weight and the spring as it rises. At the top of it's travel it begins to close off, not completely, but to a flow of 1.3-1.7 cfm or so. With the oem spring it reaches that point at 14" or so. I am hoping to make it do so around 8-10" instead. The lighter spring will allow less vacuum to pull it to it's full travel, whereas the oem spring won't.

It is closed completely at the bottom of it's travel and with a minimal metered flow at the top.

I hope that helps!

Chris

PS: For the benefit of anyone who has taken an interest in this but does not have the TSM handy, here is the flow rating in cfm:

16"+ 1.3-1.7
14" 1.5-2.0
12" 1.7-2.5
10" 2.1-2.8
8"   2.4-3.4
6"   2.7-3.7
4"   3.2-4.2
2"   3.3-4.4

Edited by ccowx - Apr/21/2018 at 7:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic