TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

PC7 Epoxy for Window Glass?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 7:37am
Just FYI, I re-done a lot of these window for customer and myself.  Silicone never works for a driver car long term....it is just not strong enough in my experience.  I have had great very long term success with 3M Structural Adhesive.....And "turbo" Don is right you better get it in the right spot first time.  Remember the depth of the glass in the track is very important, to ensure I keep the depth correct, I put each track in my Bridgeport and mill the old glue out in the middle, leaving about 3/4" inch of the original at each end of the track.  Then with everything super clean, apply the Structural Adhesive to the track, in the area where the original glue was removed.  Repeat at each track.......the front track needs to  int he right place and the space between the tracks needs to be correct.....use the marks on your original glass to get the measurements.  You don't need a Milling Machine, but a Dremel Tool will do the trick too.  If you take all the glue out of the track it will make this task so much harder and alignment will become near impossible without modifying slots and brackets.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 7:49am
I've used a router and the proper bit to clean out the tracks leaving 1/8 in at the bottom for proper height spacing.
they call me Capt RETIRED!
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 7:51am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Just FYI, I re-done a lot of these window for customer and myself.  Silicone never works for a driver car long term....it is just not strong enough in my experience.  I have had great very long term success with 3M Structural Adhesive.....And "turbo" Don is right you better get it in the right spot first time.  Remember the depth of the glass in the track is very important, to ensure I keep the depth correct, I put each track in my Bridgeport and mill the old glue out in the middle, leaving about 3/4" inch of the original at each end of the track.  Then with everything super clean, apply the Structural Adhesive to the track, in the area where the original glue was removed.  Repeat at each track.......the front track needs to  int he right place and the space between the tracks needs to be correct.....use the marks on your original glass to get the measurements.  You don't need a Milling Machine, but a Dremel Tool will do the trick too.  If you take all the glue out of the track it will make this task so much harder and alignment will become near impossible without modifying slots and brackets.
Good point.....leaving a little of the original intact is a very good idea.
they call me Capt RETIRED!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic