TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

parking brake strut spring part #?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: parking brake strut spring part #?
    Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 3:31pm
Hi all!  I can not find a part number for the parking brake strut spring for my 69 Rambler with 9x2 drums (it's the spring in the picture I'm looking for).  Does anybody know a good part number for these brakes? I assume these are not vehicle specific, but size/pressure specific?  Any help is much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 4:14pm
The kit with the spring is part #3209011.
The individual spring I don't have a number for.
Brendang2000 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

The kit with the spring is part #3209011.
The individual spring I don't have a number for.

Trader, do you know where you got this part number from?  Any searching comes up with an interchange for a Dorman wheel cylinder repair kit.

Although, I think I may have found a part number that works, H1336-2. EDIT:a better part number to use is Raybestos H1352A. I made the guy at the parts counter grab multiple part numbers:) My spring still had a little bit of yellow still on it, so used this as an indicator.  The new spring does fit over the strut and seats in the right location and you can compress past the area where the shoe would go.  It has the same number of coils as well.  My only concern is, not the length of the spring, but the size of the oval in the spring.  But if it clears everything when connected, I think this may be a winner.

As a note, I found this part number by cross-referencing the self-adjuster lever to see what other makes/models use that lever.  1962-1965 Dodge Darts seem to have used the same Bendix brakes as my Rambler.  I found the strut spring number searching for those years Dart drum spring kits.

If anybody knows another part number, please post.  Thanks!

Edited by Brendang2000 - Oct/06/2018 at 9:30pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 5:26pm
The part number #3209011 is for 68 through 70 9x2 Bendix drum brakes. Just found a Wagner number also #3203392.
These kits must include the cylinder seals also by what I see divided out in later years.
The source is a 1968 to 1978 Mitchell parts number book. The book is about 3" thick and lists all North American made auto parts by manufacturers numbers and application.
Though it's not laid out well for cross referencing.
It would not surprise me at all if the brakes, Bendix, Wagner, were used for many applications.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 11:43pm
i probably have a couple in my junk box. lemme know if you need me to look. they're indoors. they'd definitely be for 9x2 rear drums, i only have ever owned 6 cyl cars....

i'm sure i have the funny flattened springs too. usually new brake parts are called for, but since this one is just an anti-rattle spring, and under no real load, they don't seem to wear out. used here should be fine.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

nextofkin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nextofkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 8:46am
part number  311 8521 in group 8 page (Gr 8 - L 6) breakdown code (Gr 8 - T 19) in 67 thru 72 AMC parts catalog
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

i probably have a couple in my junk box. lemme know if you need me to look. they're indoors. they'd definitely be for 9x2 rear drums, i only have ever owned 6 cyl cars....

i'm sure i have the funny flattened springs too. usually new brake parts are called for, but since this one is just an anti-rattle spring, and under no real load, they don't seem to wear out. used here should be fine.

Thanks Tomj. If these don't work out, I may just hit you up for them.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 7:52pm
NAPA #80744 is what I have used for this. 

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 9:29pm
So that first part number I didn't like how it sat in the shoe, it was binding pretty bad.  I found this Raybestos part number that seems to be an exact fit, H1352A.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic