TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Painting trunk - Sound deadener

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR291 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting trunk - Sound deadener
    Posted: Feb/03/2019 at 4:06pm
Redoing my trunk and was wondering what everyone does to replace the peeling textured sound deadener on the inside of the rear quarter panels. Scrape and replace with truck bed liner before painting? Any suggestions on what has tried and found to work. Thanks. 
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2019 at 4:55pm
Tremco brand worked great for me.  It dries and can be painted.  Your automotive paint supplier should stock it.  The product comes in a can that screws to the applicator gun and a home size compressor will be enough to apply the stuff.
Mike
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2019 at 5:14pm
I've used regular Bondo thinned out somewhat with Gold Honey ( I think that's the trade name ) which is made to thin out Bondo. I thinned it to a thick paste and then rolled it on using one of those disposable, small cheapo "texture" type paint rollers that come with a plastic pan.
It worked great for me and mimics the factory texture very well and is paintable.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 8:35am
EVF_Sportabout View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 10:19pm
Have you heard of Lizzard skin?

https://www.lizardskin.com/

There are YouTube videos out there on it worked great for me.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 12:19am
Thanks for the link to Lizardskin.com.  Looks like great stuff from the video.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 11:06am
Just a FYI, my show car AMX and many other AMX's I parted out over the years had very heavy sound deadener on the interior of the qtr panels, with evidence that it was applied from something more akin to a spray hose rather than a nice neat spray gun. There were "valleys" in the deadner were the applicator's stream of deadener being shot on the panels carved a path thru the initial layer of material.
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Just a FYI, my show car AMX and many other AMX's I parted out over the years had very heavy sound deadener on the interior of the qtr panels, with evidence that it was applied from something more akin to a spray hose rather than a nice neat spray gun. There were "valleys" in the deadner were the applicator's stream of deadener being shot on the panels carved a path thru the initial layer of material.

I think some of the old AMC advertising or technical literature called that stuff "sandtex".    Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 2:36pm
Again, the rocker shutz is exact to what AMC used. You spray it with an undercoating gun which is like a spray hose like Pat said- it probably has a 0.3" ID outlet.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 4:45pm
If your not going for "restoration" but want something that looks like restoration that bonds, can be painted and will not crack or peel - Black Knight Roof Repair.
Buy a gallon and spread it thick, finish with a stiff sponge to look like factory.
Don't get it on you (wear disposable gloves), clothes, and throw out what you used to apply it.
I've had it in wheel wells (daily drivers) on the road, winter and summer for over a decade, the stuff just does not come off bare metal, doesn't crack or peel and if you try, you can scrape it off (still tar like) but will need solvent and elbow grease to get back to bare metal.
They have a spray now, never tried it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic