TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Painting Repro 68 AMX grill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting Repro 68 AMX grill
    Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 12:56pm
I have purchased a reproduction grille from Jeff Kennedy for my 68 AMX. The grill appears to be pretty good quality and is molded in black plastic. I know it will have to be painted but I am not sure how to go about it. The front of the grille slats are supposed to be silver with the top and bottom edges for the slats being black..In his restoration book Scott Campbell indicates that he painted the front of the slats using a foam brush and silver paint. He did not indicate what type or brand of silver paint he used and did not provided much more info other than do it slowly and carefully.Because the slats are so close together it looks like it would be difficult to mask off the black so that the silver can be sprayed on . Does any one have any more experience in painting these grill slats and can make a recommendation as to how to go about it and what type of paint to use. The area surrounding the grill I believe is a sparkle silver charcoal finish. I purchased a can of this spray paint from Jeff and i don't believe that painting this area will be a problem but if anyone has any hints about paining this area I would like to hear them.

Thanks
Joe
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 7:03pm
Although I do not know if they are still made: Testers had paint pens in silver that were small enough to paint one slat at a time with good results. I think Kennedy's way would be easier.
Mike
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 7:42pm
SmileJust curious, did you purchase this grille recently? I had heard these 4th run grilles were not available.
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 10:10pm
Although not perfect by any means I did the opposite.
I spray painted the grill gun metal grey metallic first, let dry, taped the front and spray painted the black satin from the back. Then finished all with a satin clear coat. 
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 11:22am
I purchased the grille about 3 years ago.. I am now just getting to the point in my restoration where I need it..I thought about spraying it silver then going back and spraying the black . I didn't think about spraying the black from the back side. What type of paint did you use .Automotive or rattle can
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 11:35am
Rustolium rattle cans, states plastic on the cans. Been on 8 years so far and no problems other then a stone chip. Bugs come off the clear coat easily if you get them while still "fresh".
Rodney Schultz View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodney Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 8:46pm
Given that AMC grilles are ABS plastic, is there any need for plastic adhesion promoter? I would guess that it would only work on the base plastic anyway. If one were to repaint an already painted grille, it probably would make no difference.

Rodney
'78 Gremlin... The never ending project... But we will succeed!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 7:22am
The Rustolium didn't call for a primer. I believe any paint now that states metal, plastic, wood ... has an adhesive primer of some sort in the mix.
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 12:27pm
I just used a rattle can black did the grill then use a rattle can silver my preference in color sprayed in the cap or a dish and used a foam brush and painted the silver on you can always go back and touch up the back. And it does matter how steady your hand is. I think the stiffer the brush the better.
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 1:38pm
I use 3m silver 1/8" tape
they call me Capt RETIRED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic