TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

paint sources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Needhelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: paint sources
    Posted: Jan/07/2017 at 8:30pm
I will be ready to paint my 63 this spring and was wondering if anyone has ever purchased paint from TCP Global (Restoration Shop Paint Products). I will be doing it in base/clear instead of single stage.
Butch Lyons-Hastings,Nebraska
1963 Ambassador 880 4dr
1965 Classic Convertible, 327
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2017 at 10:11pm
I strongly advise against getting paint from any online source.

The prices may seem low until you figure in shipping.  Then when you add in if you didn't receive everything you need, you'll either have a wait for whatever else you need, or you'll have to get it locally and then worry about compatibility.

If at all possible deal with a local automotive paint supply jobber, get to know them, they're a better source of advice than you'll get from a online company's adviser who usually has no personal experience in refinishing, he's only repeating what he's reading from a FAQ list.

I have dealt with TCP Global,  I bought a masking machine from them,  about $90,  which I thought was a little high,  but then the shipping was even more $90 +,  and not everything was in the box.  
After 2 weeks, I finally had a working masking machine, at just slightly less than $200.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2017 at 9:18am
I have had good service from TCP Global and the paint formulas were spot on as far as I could tell. I have purchased only single stage paint from them, both acrylic and urethane. Having said that, I get most of my paint and supplies from two or three local suppliers. But TCP Global has been my go to supplier for parts for my Devilbiss paint guns. They have (or had) the complete parts list and exploded view on their website. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
JavelinGeo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinGeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2017 at 9:41am
use a reliable source "automotive paint shop" near you just a friendly reminder, I'd never shot an ounce of paint but through my local paint shop...and swallowing my pride and asking questions  I'm a very confident painter now...no school just common sense, hope this helps
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2017 at 9:54am
Now that i'm retired when I do paintwork I have the customer supply the paint.

That way they get the shock, first hand, of what paint cost, not me.  But sometimes I get surprised because I never know what they're going to show up with.

One old friend wanted me to paint a new hood for his CJ.  I did the usual deal.  
When he shows he got the hood, and a pint of paint, of a brand i'd never heard of.
It was in a rectangular can, not the usual round can,  so I couldn't stir the paint, I could only shake it.

When I shook it , it felt like it was already reduced.  I'd told him I needed a pint of paint,  he'd brought me a pint of thinned paint. Not one direction on the can, not even if it was Acrylic enamel, urethane, lacquer,  BC/CC, or single stage.  And he knew nothing, other than what it cost him.
He'd paid $87.  for the paint, about another $ 40.  for the delivery.  So he'd ended up paying about the same price for 1/2 pint of paint, as what one pint would have cost at a local jobber.

After searching online, I found enough information to use it, it was urethane enamel base coat.
I had enough paint to do 2 normal coats, and one mist coat, not one extra drop of paint left.

I don't like to paint with product reduced by some one else,  because you never know what grade of reducer they used.  I select my reducer for the conditions i'm painting under.

The match didn't satisfy me,  but it was ok with the customer.

I know I could have got a better match with a paint supplied by a local jobber, also it would have cost the customer less, and it would have been less mental stress for me.   

But the customer was satisfied, and I was relieved to see it drive done the road.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2017 at 11:19am
like every one said its best to deal with the local supply that way you get proper heat range of reducer and any other chemicals needed for that brand of paint
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2017 at 11:53am
I don't know.  I can get a gallon of Restoration Shop Frost White in acrylic urethane from TCP delivered to my door for about $130.  If I go down to my local DuPont distributor, it would cost that much for a quart.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2017 at 12:38pm
If you're talking about single stage urethane white from TCP ,  the a gallon is only a about a half gallon of actual color because it already reduced.

If you go to your Dupont jobber and priced the equal quality paint that you're getting from TCP,  Dupont's economy paint, ( used to be Nason, it's got a new name now)  the DuPont is lower.  If you compare TCP prices to DuPont premium prices, you're comparing apples to oranges.

I only use the premium paints when the color match needs it, the premium lines of paint have all the paint codes known variants, the economy lines don't.

It's not possible for online sources to offer exact matches to color variants, because no one's PC has perfect color reproduction.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I don't know.  I can get a gallon of Restoration Shop Frost White in acrylic urethane from TCP delivered to my door for about $130.  If I go down to my local DuPont distributor, it would cost that much for a quart.

Roger...sounds like the Frost White you got from Restoration Shop was a better match then I got......I bought a gallon and ended using it for a base interior paint for the trunk and places that got re-coated with another paint.  I ended up using NAPA base/clear and it was spot on......but then they mixed me another gallon for another car and it was off.........never had any issues with match on Dupont/Nason colors. but PPG Products I have never had a good match.  The Scarab Gold that I had mixed in PPG actually looked like it had a Green Tint....terrible match and they PPG folks gave me my money back.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2017 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Roger...sounds like the Frost White you got from Restoration Shop was a better match then I got.....

Ross, I don't want to mislead anyone.  I was just comparing pricing.  I have not gotten any paint from the Restoration Shop but I was considering them.  Typically I've always used Delstar or Imron (boy am I dating myself) but the pricing for Imron is just out of reason.  Last quart I bought was nearly $150.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic