TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Paint Code Frost White

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint Code Frost White
    Posted: Nov/29/2015 at 8:27pm

I am planning to paint my engine bay and a few minor parts soon.
The original colour is Frost white.
I can get US paint codes but when I take them to my local paint supplier he says that he doesn't have them recorded.
He can offer to colour match an existing part but I would prefer to have a formula so I an buy more paint at a later date.
My question is does anyone have an Australian paint code for Frost White, or perhaps found another paint code that is very close?

Thanks.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2015 at 9:30pm
On a AMC made in the USA there were 2 different frost whites, from about 1960-70.
P-72 Ditzler code 8108,
P-72A Ditzler code 8616
The A doesn't denote acrylic enamel, AMC went to acrylic enamel in all it's paints in the late 50s.

A lot of car builders had whites they called frost white, but it's just a name, not a exact paint color.
Even for AMC, frost white didn't denote a exact color.

USA assembled AMC had the factory paint code on the door tag, is that not true of Australian assembled AMC ?

Edited by tyrodtom - Nov/29/2015 at 9:33pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 3:08am
Australian assembled vehicles used local paint. I have also tried to use those Ditzler codes and 3 paint shops I went to had no idea what I was talking about. They even searched in books and on the computer. I guess we had our own industry back then.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 9:25am
Even in the USA knowing the paint's name won't tell you the exact color, you have to know at least the year too.

Having the paint code, I'm talking about the car builders paint code, and the year made is about the only way to be sure you're talking about the same exact color.

And then you can't be absolutely sure, because every car builder sometimes put out cars that had the color contaminated from other colors, incorrect tints, unflushed paint hoses, etc.

And white is one of those colors that it takes very little tints to make a noticeable difference in the shade of the color.

Edited by tyrodtom - Nov/30/2015 at 9:39am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 3:15pm
Good timing, Colin Main sent me some pictures of some of a couple of the colour charts yesterday.

The colours are listed under Australian Motor Industries

67/68 White - Dulux/Dulon 8728 (Just called white, not frost white)

71 Peak White - Dulux/Dulon 13040
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 3:27pm
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

On a AMC made in the USA there were 2 different frost whites, from about 1960-70.
P-72 Ditzler code 8108,
P-72A Ditzler code 8616

USA assembled AMC had the factory paint code on the door tag, is that not true of Australian assembled AMC ?

I checked my door tag and the Body, Trim and Paint are all blank.
Only the Model has identification details.

Western Red, do you suggest I try the paint shop again, this time asking for a match to AMI colour white for 1969 Javelin?

Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 5:21pm
I would be trying that Dulux code. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 8:30pm
Not sure if 69 was the same as 67/68, but the same paints were apparently used across all AMI products and were specific to local production so the US codes won't be much good to you. I'd just pick a nice late model colour and keep a record of it, I don't think anybody will really care if it is not the exact factory colour except maybe yourself.
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 11:06pm
Thanks for the replies.
I assumed that the cars were painted in the US but thinking about it more carefully AMI did a lot of modifications to convert them to RHD. Engine bays would have to have been painted here, perhaps painting was part of the local content.

Looks like I may go to a large shopping center with a sample in hand and select a colour from the car park.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic