TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Paint and body jobs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2008 at 3:11pm
I'm not looking to anything that extreme..., it isnt a total restoration of the car, just need something driver quality that doesn't look like the car was painted with a brush.

I'd attempt the quarters myself, they don't go up into the roofline like a Javelin or AMX and all of the spot welds are covered by trim, but I'm not THAT experienced with a welder and don't want to risk ruining the car and the replacement panels.
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2008 at 4:25pm
Josh after seeing the pic's of your red marlin it is worth saving.  You should post them pic'shere so everyone can look at your red beauty.

Got to get some bids to level set your decision process.

A suggestion is to look for someone small town.  They probably have lower overhead which means savings for you.  I have seen some remarkable craftsmanship from these one man shops.

You can save quite a few shop hours if you remove and reinstall all of the trim. bumpers, doorhandles ect.  If you pull the interior saves on the shop having to detail and mask it up when they do the door sills. 

Look for a moonlighter who paints nights and weekends. 

The last price I got to have my GTO redone was $10,000.  No rust but GM had such crummy panel seams there is a lot of hours in setting the gaps.

Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
amxhusband View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxhusband Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2008 at 10:06am
Yea, I had to replace both quarter panels, both outer rocker panels, both inner rocker panels, the entire floor pan, the pass front fender sill, and both front fenders.  At one point the car was only held together by the roof.  I figure I had to replace greater than 50% of the car.  Like I said, I should have bought a second car for the body.  I would have been a lot less expensive.
FamlyTradition View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamlyTradition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2008 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Josh Josh wrote:

As much as I like the car, if it costs that much probably an extremely dumb decision on my part to spend that kind of money on it considering what it is. If it was an AMX or Javelin it'd be different.

With that thinking, I'm being stupid to fix mine. It's a classic but I'd love to have a Marlin. You'll never get the money back if you sell it. that's just an ANC for you. But I'm planning on giving it to my kids when I'm gone. My brother has a '65 American 4 door that was our great uncle's, then grandpa's, then dad's, now his. What a family tradition. He took his all the way down by sandblasting it.  He'll never get his money back if he sells it, but he has no intention of it.
  Take it to a good shop to get the work done. spend the little extra or it'll bite you in the butt. Install what you can (fender(no offence taken build)) and prep what you can. it'll help. Or you could just sell it to me.Big%20smile
65 Rambler Classic 550 & 660
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2008 at 9:51am
I do all my own paint and body work on my own cars and still dump more money in them than I could ever hope to recover, even with my free labor. In your case you will probably need to find a very small shop or a bacyard guy to hang your quarter panels. The biggest issue with swaping quarter panels is keeping everything alaigned. Even guys that have the full quarter replacement panels cut them up as patch panels. If you only need the lower portion repaired there is no reason to replace the whole panel. I would only hang a full quarter panel if the upper portion was wrecked so bad that it would be easier to replace it then reshape the existing. Rust damage usually only effects the bottom unless your back window leaked, causing more upper damage. I have used Hornet/Gremlin front fenders (they usually rust out the tops) as patch panels on the rear(which usually rust out around the wheel wells). Patch panels are a lot less work than full quarters and won't let the car change shape if only smaller parts are cut out. The secret is to cut the patch panel out a little larger than needed and slowly trim and test fit several times before welding. You can tack it in place and find a friendly welder buddy to finish weld it for you.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
FamlyTradition View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamlyTradition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2008 at 9:43pm
 He's right. We(the bodyshop techs) will ussaly cut panels down to what is needed. Unless it's quicker to change it whole.
65 Rambler Classic 550 & 660
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 3:59pm
If you decide not to do your car, you could buy a decent car and keep yours for parts. I would not pay huge money to have it restored, but that is a personal decision.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic