TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pacer Rally Pac Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacer Rally Pac Problem
    Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 6:41pm
First let me say that I'm new to Pacer's as I've always been an AMX and Javelin guy....but my wife loves them so I picked one up to restore for her.   I also bought a used Pacer/Hornet/Spirit rally pac with the gauges contained in the plastic pod that goes under the Pacer's ashtray.  As hard as I try I can't get the pod to fit and it seems like the dash will need to be "trimmed" to get the lines on the pod to line up with the dash.   Am I crazy? or did AMC make different Pods for different models?  I looked in my TSM and it shows a Pacer with what looks to be the same Pod that I have.  If anyone has experience with this issue please chime in and help to keep me sane.   Thanks...
1976 Jeep Honcho 401
1972 Javelin SST 360
1969 AMX 390
1976 Pacer
1971 Gremlin
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 7:22am
The pacer dash is so different from the Hornet based cars that it's very likely that the actual housing differs as well as the wiring harness.
Check a parts book for the part numbers.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 8:14am
hi, Pacer pod is unique to Pacers. good luck, gz
george z
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 8:57am
It is hard to believe that AMC did this....but they did....The entire dash structure for a Pacer with rally Pac is different than a Pacer with the regular gauges...The clock was replaced with a tach the same size as the clock and the clock went into the 4 gauge cluster...You lost the dash ashtray and since the car now had the small console/armrest the ashtray was made into the front of the armrest...Putting a rally pack in a Pacer is a challenge, and I would just settle for the regular gauges and not try and trim off the bottom of the main structure....and the gauge holding plastic housing for the Pacer is different than for a Hornet....Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
amxv8 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 12:26pm
Bob,

Thank you, that makes complete sense.  I have a spare dash so I may try and see if I can trim the bottom ashtray flange off just to see if I can make it work.  At least I know that I'm not crazy. 
1976 Jeep Honcho 401
1972 Javelin SST 360
1969 AMX 390
1976 Pacer
1971 Gremlin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic