TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

P10 Bright Blue in Powder Paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P10 Bright Blue in Powder Paint
    Posted: Jan/21/2019 at 10:18pm
Does anyone know if a powder paint is available in P10 Bright Blue?

Have an engine cradle I am building and would very much like to powder coat it in this color.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan Phersson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jan Phersson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2019 at 11:29pm
It all depends on your power coat shop, if they are willing to get the color for you.
http://www.powder-coatings.co.uk/powder-coating-colours/ral-colour-chart/
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 12:07pm
I just ordered 12 different blue swatches from Prismatic Powders  http://www.prismaticpowders.com/
I think this color might be a real possibility http://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PSB-6963/chase-blue   Can't wait for them to show up. FYI: swatches are free and you only have to pay shipping to receive them. First 5 cost $6.00 shipping and each one after that is an additional .20 cents. So I spent $7.40 for 12 samples. Hopefully I can find the color.

Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Jan/22/2019 at 12:13pm
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 11:09pm
Got the powder coated swatches and I don't think the Chase Blue is anywhere close after looking at it. I also got a Playboy Blue swatch http://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PSS-1715/playboy-blue that looks more promising, so I am goig to take it over to the paint store Monday and have them scan it against AMC P10 Bright Blue. I would have thought at least someone here had tried to match the color with powder before me, but I guess not since no one has spoke up.

Tom
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 11:07am
I had a custom color match in powder coat from the shop that did my powder coating over the years. I just supplied them with a sample, they sent it out and the match was right on. Prismatic Powders may have been the company that did it? You should check with the shop that does your powder coating. There will be a min charge and amount.
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 7:43pm
I can tell you that P10 Bright Blue is actually Chrysler (1955+) Corporate Blue if that helps you.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

I can tell you that P10 Bright Blue is actually Chrysler (1955+) Corporate Blue if that helps you.
That is an interesting thing to know. I'll ask them at the paint store tomorrow to check it out. I am hoping to at least get a ingredient list so I can forward it to Prismatic.

Thanks,
Tom
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 11:30am
Well I am off to the paint store, but after some more research I am not sure Chrysler Corporate Blue is the same thing. P10 Bright Blue has a Ditzler # 13936. Chrysler Corporate Blue a Ditzler # 12785. I guess within a few hours I'll know for sure and have the actual paint recipes. 

Tom
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 4:34pm
According to the paint store Chrysler Blue is not the same color as AMC Bright Blue. They were even so nice as to mix me a free 8 oz. sample can of AMC Bright Blue complete with the reducer added and ready to spray. When I got home I applied a few drops of Bright Blue on the Playboy Blue powder coated swatch. Bright Blue is a few shades darker and appears have a more violet hue than Playboy Blue does. Contacted Prismatic Powders and going to be sending them a paint swatch of the mixed paint I got today. She told me, they would look into it and if they could reformulate a current powder it would be an extra $100 charge. If they have to create a custom color they charge $400 for that service. Guess I'll have to wait a few weeks to hear what the verdict is. 

Tom
ArdsleyTank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdsleyTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 5:29pm
Just out of curiosity, where did you go to get your paint sample?

Peter
1973 Gremlin Factory V8 Base--Trans-Am Red with Gold Pinstripes--304 2BBL Bone Stock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic