TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Original AMC T-10 Shifter upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original AMC T-10 Shifter upgrade
    Posted: Jun/26/2018 at 3:34pm
For those with a 67-69 BW T-10 4 speed car that still have or would like to return to the original Ford type shifter, this just in! I had a small run of new shifter handles made for the original AMC 4 speed shifter. These new shifter handles are correct for 68 and early 69 Jav/AMX and may fit other AMC's (Rogue/Rebel/Ambo etc). These handles are all new, excellent chrome, correct length, bends and the correct 1/2X28 fine thread for the original shifter ball. The lower part of the shifter, which moves in the shifter box, is re-engineered with spring loaded cups that maintain a consistent pressure against the shifter box sides. No more sloppy, rattling shifter handles. The reverse lockout mechanism is also all new. They come with all new, correct shouldered mounting bolts and rubber grommets, ready to install in your shifter. If you are still using a Hurst Comp Plus or other aftermarket shifter and would like to return your 50 year old classic AMX to it's original glory (with backup lights that work!), I have a few restored Ford type shifters with backup light switches. I'll be at the Days Inn in Auburn for the AMO show Thurs/Fri/Sat Jun 28-30. Also at the show field with my 390 4 speed Rally Green 68 AMX/White stripes. Or call, Terry (512) 470-2398.

The twin stick set-up on my BW (basic wooden) 2X6 T10 simulator. 2 Ford type shifters with the new handles installed.

Close up of the spring loaded cups in the shifter box.

Old original shifter handle (top) & new shifter handle (bottom). Hard to see, but chrome is excellent, dimensions are the same as the original & each shifter handle comes with new, correct mounting bolts/washers and rubber grommets as well as the springs/cups. $145 at the AMO show, plus shipping after that.

Edited by TX390AMX - Jul/03/2018 at 4:03pm
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 10:53am
Very nice job.

I keep saying this to everyone that says a manufacturer for this shifter, and there are several names used, but do you have any proof that ITM made this?
There are no Inland markings at all on it. When you google Inland shifter, they have Inland or ITW markings on them and they don't look anything like this mechanism. I see no similarities in the designs.
The only marking on the AMC shifter is the manufacturer of the reverse switch (not Inland).
When I searched for who made the Ford shifter, which is very, very similar, I came up with Autolite. But nothing I would consider 100% reliable, just mentioned in ads or similar.
So, did Autolite make shifters? And for the 58th time, does anyone have real proof who made this shifter?

Edit:
certainly not proof, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-LYKS2abQM

Edited by Steve_P - Jun/28/2018 at 11:05am
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 3:42pm
I don't know if this helps or just confuses matters but this patent application shows AMC as the original assignee.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 4:47pm
The filing date for that patent is 14 Apr 1969. AMC had switched to Hurst shifters by then. It seems unlikely they would make a patent application for a part they no longer used. That's just throwing money out the window. Maybe this was an upgraded design of the previous shifter that they were thinking of using.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 9:25pm
Those patent papers are cool; I had no idea AMC filed those .

But that shifter had been around for 4 yrs by then; and as said they switched to Hurst Dec 68 or so. They would've filed years prior if they invented it . And I can't believe AMC sold shifter to Ford. But...

Edit: I looked at the patent drawings linked above on a monitor and it's quite different from the Ford style shifter that AMC used.  The patent drawings show a similar reverse lockout mechanism, but reverse is below 4th gear, in the same gate.  Also the shifting rods are located by a rear plate with bushings and don't directly fasten to the shifter arms- the mechanism catches cuts in the rods.  Interesting design, but it appears this was patented and AMC never used it, which is common.  I looked at some of his other patents (going back to 1941) and there were several odd things that I doubt were ever used.

Edited by Steve_P - Jun/29/2018 at 12:11pm
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2018 at 2:30pm
Steve_P
  You are correct, I've not found any identifying marks on these early shifters either. I used the ITM designation primarily because that's what everyone else (including the Mustang repro people I used to manufacture the new handles) calls them. Point is, my new shifter handle is an improvement over the stock shifter handle, whoever made them. I sold out my first batch at the AMO show in Auburn this weekend, several Javelin/AMX owners were happy to see these being offered.
  I also noted the patent papers that Roger found described a very different type of shifter mechanism, sounds similar to the early 3 speed Gremlin shifters which were probably cheaper to manufacture but significantly lacking in functionality and durability. No doubt the bean counters at work, charting the demise of AMC!
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2018 at 9:43pm
I saw this shifter at the Auburn show this weekend. This is a very nicely made piece to replace the worn out stock shifter. If I needed one I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Great product and a first class guy making and selling them. 
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 12:08pm
This is a beautiful assembly at a great price. I know I have over $100 in my restored one in plating alone, plus hours of labor. You have to fully disassemble it to replate it- the cable is brazed and must be removed. On mine, I had to ream out the plastic lockout ring bushing due to the plating increasing the diameter...

My point is that since we don't know who made this, why repeat what others say with no proof? Call it the "Ford style" shifter. It's obvious that whoever made the Ford shifter that started in 1962? also made this. But who was it? This should be easy to prove today, but?

Look at the Inland designs and tell me this looks anything like them. It simply doesn't. That doesn't mean they didn't make it but I'm skeptical. but people keep calling this Inland; and if you say something often enough then people repeat it. But we shouldn't.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 12:45pm
I worked with an engineer who was responsible for filing for patents. It takes TIME, and good patent attorneys........... but my real point here is that companies often patent something they MAY use just to ensure they can protect their ideas. 
AMC patenting a shifter no one has actually seen in a car is no surprise to me at all. Yeah, they'd do that.
the company I worked for was Compressor Controls Corporation, and they had many hundreds of patents and if one of their people had a great idea, they'd protect it. One fellow had over 100 patents with the company - just that one person. 
You will find patents for tens of thousands of items that never actually saw the light of day.
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 7:49pm
These shifters were NOT made by Inland. As a matter of fact Inland took over after everyone dropped this shifter in favor of the Hurst. It was Ansen that made the original shifter, and first provided it for the '50's Corvettes. Then later provided it to Ford and AMC. Ansen dropped the shifter from it's speed equipment line after it was clear the Hurst shifter was a superior design. Coincidentally AMC applied for the patent about the time Ansen dropped the shifter from their lineup? Then AMC never used it,went to Hurst, and coincidentally Inland made an inferior copy of it and sold it? Interesting trail to follow.

Edited by typhooner - Aug/06/2018 at 9:10pm
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic