TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Opinions on Gremlin Diesel Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on Gremlin Diesel Swap
    Posted: May/24/2018 at 3:50pm
Hi all, first time posting here.

I've been looking at Gremlins for awhile, and one came up in my area. It's a clean looking 76, manual trans, but the interesting thing is that it has a 4cyl, C221 Isuzu diesel engine in it. Apparently it was put in during the late 70s due to gas prices.

My question is--what do you think? I have concerns about lack of power, and even though I am decent with a wrench, I have no idea if the torque difference would cause any problems in the differential or wheels, etc. The engine slightly appeals to me, as I could convert it to biodiesel. Other issues? Gas tank?

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 5:06pm
My guess is that will be a disappointment on the road, depending on your power expectations.  Internet says 58hp, 93ft-lb.  Also a popular forklift motor, reputedly very durable and easy enough to rebuild.

Basically, it looks like a motor that was too early to enjoy all the diesel power advancements of the past 20 years, and probably smokes like a chimney.  However, I personally love the diesel engine, in a low RPM torque-producing variety, and that one would probably outlast the chassis by 50 years!

I'd go for it.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:03pm
I remember the Luv with the diesel,  not exactly a ball of fire.
And a Luv weighed less than a Gremlin 6 cylinder.   So the Gremlin is gonna be even slower.

Manual transmission,  3 speed ?
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
calamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:46pm
I know of a few people who had Isuzu pickups that added propane injection to them drove. When they needed more power turned it own and were very happy with their performance. They used it for long periods at a time for many years and never had any engine issues.
calamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:48pm
sorry about the mistakes and spelling did not proof read before hitting send
2Busy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Busy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 7:00pm
If its what you want, go for it. Dare to be different. 
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 9:23pm
Put a turbo on it, lol.
amcdefg View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 1:39am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

Manual transmission,  3 speed ?

I'll find out next week. If it were me, I would have moved over the tranny too--wouldnt you? I'm not sure if the stock one would bolt on right, right size, etc.
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 7:13am
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

Put a turbo on it, lol.

that was MY 1st thought too

wonder how a eaton blower would work on it?

67 american 290/4speed
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 8:32am
This thread should be in frankenrambler.
It takes 30 posts before access is given to that category.
How will the admins handle this one?
It's always interesting, when a new member starts out violating the rules on their first few posts.....
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic