TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Opinions on Coil Springs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on Coil Springs?
    Posted: May/10/2018 at 3:45pm
I'm trying to decide how concerned to be about my springs and if I should replace them.  Here's the deal:

When I FINALLY got the Rambler into the DIY shop and onto the lift, the front suspension hung pretty low.  Not surprising given the condition of the bushings.  The front springs actually had a curve in them though as they (the suspension rather) hung there; about 15 degrees, just eyeballing it.  Didn't look like they were in any danger of popping out or anything, but it still made me a little uneasy as I've never seen springs curve with a car in the air.

Suspension IS one of my weak areas, but I've had a ton of cars on the lift over the years when I was turning wrenches. 

On top of the slinky effect, the springs are 54 years old at this point.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
2Busy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Busy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 3:53pm
I think it is normal for the springs to appear to flex or bend slightly when the suspension is unloaded. I don't think that is a problem.  
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 4:04pm
Eaton Detroit Springs for quality replacement if you are leaning in that direction (no pun intended).
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 5:20pm
Eaton doesn't do coils - at least that's what they told me way back. Leaf springs only.

That suspension will hang down - a surprising amount and it's not unusual for the long springs of the early cars to bow out - especially with worn trunions and bushings. That makes it worse. In fact I've seen trunions so bad things fell apart.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 5:22pm
They do both.  Have them on my car.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 5:46pm
Then they have changed in the last few years - when I was doing my 70 the head dude said no to coils. And when I did my 82 Eagle, they also said no coils, leaf only. How long ago did you buy coils from Eaton?
8 years ago, maybe even fewer, they flat out told me they didn't do coils when I contacted them.
I may still have their communication...........
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 5:51pm
No sweat, last year.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 5:51pm
Bill D.  They just made me a full set of Coils for My 74 Matador Coupe.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 6:34pm
Not doubting that - just that when I tried to get springs for my cars - of course this was a few years back, I was told flat out - NO coils. I talked to 'em about my Eagle springs and they said no they can't do coils.
Like I said,, that was a while back - all i'm saying is that they must have CHANGED - because had they done springs when I wanted them for my Eagle - they'd have been my first choice.
The springs under the front of my Eagle suck - WAAAY too stiff and they hold the car up too high.
I told the company what I wanted, and now years later comparing wire size, coils and all - I can see why the springs I got from "another company" suck. Larger wire, etc.
If ED has started to do coils, then one of these days I'll see if they can do Eagle coils yet - 
i'd love to know when they changed  and started coils.
I love the PERFECT leaf springs under my 70 from E-D
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 7:45pm
Not sure when they changed, BUT they do indeed to coils.  $259 a pair for front or rear for the Rambler. 

Still trying to decide if they're needed though...  Backs probably are at least.  Push down on the back corner of the car and it's really mushy and bounces 4 or 5 times.  I know that shade tree test is mainly for shocks BUT that's alot of bounce and mush.

Front is fairly stiff in terms of bounce.  It takes some effort to push the corner down and there's only one bounce.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic