TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Open differential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open differential
    Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 8:35pm
can they do wheel stands or just throw you sideways?
*asking for a friend
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 8:43pm
Wrong forum topic section? CalTracs are laying in the kitchen floor.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 9:46pm
If you could keep the traction perfectly equal between both tires, you could.  Trouble is, that when one tire or the other loses even the slightest traction, power starts to shift to the tire with the LEAST traction. Very quickly, the tire with the least traction gets 100% of the power and goes up in smoke.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Aug/13/2019 at 9:48pm
69 AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 10:59pm
unintentional going sideways spooks me. *it’s difficult to correct. Happened last month and was pure luck I didn’t contact anything 

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 5:34am
Probably more likely to go sideways with a limited slip diff, as mentioned earlier, once one tire starts spinning the other loses power whereas with a LSD, locker or spooled diff, both tires can spin at the same time and the rear will step out more aggressively, that's when you need more driver ability to be able to control things.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 5:36am
Jesus take the wheel 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Gelalthedamned Gelalthedamned wrote:

Jesus take the wheel 

he doesn't want it either.

1961 roadster american, 195.6 OHV, T5
1968 american, 199ci, T96
sr-ix.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 9:32am
That last post is just wrong!!!
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 10:14am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Probably more likely to go sideways with a limited slip diff, as mentioned earlier, once one tire starts spinning the other loses power whereas with a LSD, locker or spooled diff, both tires can spin at the same time and the rear will step out more aggressively, that's when you need more driver ability to be able to control things.

Oh tell me about it! My 73, as Ken has told me "too much HP for the car right now". 
I was driving along in town, two lanes each direction, at a stop light.
Light turns and I start to go - get up to maybe 25 or 30 MPH and I see just across the way my lane is blocked. I look back and see two blocks of cars in the other lane....
So I figure what the heck, the car on my right is just slightly back, a bit of gas and I'm around them and over. 
So I hit about half throttle or so, both tires let loose and the car went half-sideways. SCARY. 
I've had it happen other times - get moving and then half-throttle it or maybe 2/3 and suddenly the car wants to swing it's XXX-end to the right. 

So guess what's in the trunk waiting to get put on the car........ yeah, nice Caltrac setup.

My AMX years ago had the same issue - it was limited slip - and they are not really fun on snow and ice as they tend to go sideways if you do lose traction. They do fine in snow if you have grip on even one wheel but hit less than that and they are worse than an open diff. 
My first wife actually liked that so more than once after a snow that was just right and ended up icy and slick we'd take the car to the mall parking lot after hours and well, we'd go in circles until we got tired of it. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That last post is just wrong!!!

sorry, i only meant, the problem is elsewhere.

i didn't mean to offend you or anyone, sorry if i did.

1961 roadster american, 195.6 OHV, T5
1968 american, 199ci, T96
sr-ix.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic