TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

One more.. Best 258 Cam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One more.. Best 258 Cam?
    Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 9:24am
Looking for something still streetable, going in my stock 258, may hold off on the cam until intake/head upgrades are done.  Any ideas?

-Tad
1967 AMC Rambler
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 10:07am
Develop a plan first - get it all on paper, or at least in your head. The cam should be chosen on variables you've already decided on - and it doesn't sound like you have yet.
Then once you have it all planned, any of the good cam companies can spec you a cam for what you have.

Edited by billd - Jul/29/2007 at 10:07am
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 11:36am
What Bill said.

Intake/pistons/valve train should match the cam you choose, or alternatively, the cam should match the intake/pistons/valve train combination you have.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by BadTad BadTad wrote:

Looking for something still streetable, going in my stock 258, may hold off on the cam until intake/head upgrades are done.  Any ideas?

-Tad

I wouldn't wait until all the upgrades are done unless you like tearing it apart all over again just to stuff in the cam.
There's a few streetable cams depending on your definition of street.
There's also custom for a few bucks more if you don't like compromise.
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 12:09pm
I think what I need is to find a local club around here, buy the beer and pick their brains for info.  I've got ZERO experience engine planning ( like this ), I've been doing motorcycles for the last 7 years... sad I know..

Edited by BadTad - Jul/29/2007 at 12:09pm
1967 AMC Rambler
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2007 at 12:16pm

I think what I need is to find a local club around here, buy the beer and pick their brains for info.  I've got ZERO experience engine planning ( like this ), I've been doing motorcycles for the last 7 years... sad I know..

Group effort may not help with planning especially beer fed groups.

It's how YOU want to use it. Is the goal realistic/affordable?
How much YOU want to invest in time and bucks.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Group effort may not help with planning especially beer fed groups.

It's how YOU want to use it. Is the goal realistic/affordable?
How much YOU want to invest in time and bucks.

Agreed!
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 7:41pm
Still up in the air on the cam - I think I've pretty well out lined my goals in my main 258 post, if anyone wants to add to it for cam suggestions I"m all ears.

Thanks!
1967 AMC Rambler
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 10:26pm
Comp cam help line
1-800-999-0853
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 11:18pm
When I called Comp, I spoke with a fellow with a VERY slight southern "drawl" - so I assumed what one might assume. He's from south of the Mason-Dixon.
Then he asked for my address, I told him. He said "oh, you aren't too far from Indianola then".
I was a bit perplexed - how does a southern boy even know Indianola exists?
He was born and raised there............ You never know who you might be talking to. He might be your neighbor's kid.
They appeared to be a friendly lot.

Anyway, do CALL these folks - a phone call is best. Explain what you have, and what you want to end up with, and a few of the plans for getting there. They can help, really.

And when this is done, we expect photos and details!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic