TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 58>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Randiezy Randiezy wrote:

Hello my name is randy I’m looking into doing a mustang 2 front end on my 67 amc rambler American 220 I was told you have a lot of info on front end conversations 

Randy,
Yes, I have a Fatman Fabrications front end in this car. You can see some pics starting about page 25.
It is a weld in unit. You can read about them at there web site.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2020 at 8:14am
Finally !!!!!!!!!!!!! Progress !!!!!!!!!

Got my wiper motor back from New Port and I must say that Gavin did an excellent job re-positioning the motor to the mounting plate. If you remember the control arm that runs from the wiper motor to the wiper was hitting inside the cowl. The motor was positioned up 3/4" of an inch. 

It fits and works perfectly now.

I now have a 2 speed motor with intermittent delay. Big up grade. Love it.

Let me ramble on a bit...... I really like the results and am very satisfied. Would I do it again? Ya, but when the first attempt failed, before I spoke to Gavin, I thought it was not fixable, I did some searching and came up with this vacuum pump. 

I could have used this pump, with a switch under the dash, and according to all I have read it should make enough vacuum to run the wipers. Guess I will never know unless someone tries it and lets me know.......................... 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2020 at 8:56am
Good to hear you got it working right. IMO what you did is way better than just getting a good vacuum source. Vacuum wipers don't have delay and you don't realize how much that means to you unless you don't have it. I was so happy last year when we were on a trip and it was sprinkling and I had gotten the delay wipers working on mine. My wife thought I was crazy but it was making me crazy before having to reach up on the dash to urn those on and off every few minutes. LOL How the little details make a car so much better than the rest. Smile

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Vacuum wipers don't have delay 
The one I had certainly did. Wink

Great looking Rambler Ollie! Keep up the good work.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2020 at 5:56pm
Ollie, do you have any pictures of how the linkage attaches to the motor arm?
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2020 at 8:47am
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

Ollie, do you have any pictures of how the linkage attaches to the motor arm?

This is what I have Patrick. The linkage is held on with a "c" 
clip.

Gavin put the same size attachment shaft on the new motor so all I had to do was just hook it up.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2020 at 9:59pm
Yours is entirely different then mine. Didn't realize it would be different between your vacuum wiper and my electric wipers.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2020 at 2:18pm
Yes. linkage is different between vac and electric. From what I have read, the Newport conversion uses an electric motor with the old vacuum linkage though. Correct me if I'm wrong Ollie!!

While vac wipers don't have intermittent switches, they are variable speed. You can make them go very slow by slightly pulling out the cable (or sliding the switch). ALMOST as good as intermittent, definitely better than just two fixed speeds. I'd use a storage canister of some sort (I prefer the large half-gallon juice can type, but smaller will do) with that little pump just to level out the vacuum supply. It's a lot easier to use a pump and canister with the original type vac motor than to convert, and usually cheaper. Depends on if the Newport conversion uses the vac wiper linkage and what it costs. Most Newport conversion run around $240 with a plain two speed switch, another $90 for a delay switch. It costs about $105 to have a wiper motor rebuilt from Peter Stathes (www.amcrambler.com -- rebuilt with new gasket and return shipping), so about $240 for the vac motor, pump, switch (got to have a toggle for the vac motor) and vac canister.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Yes. linkage is different between vac and electric. From what I have read, the Newport conversion uses an electric motor with the old vacuum linkage though. Correct me if I'm wrong Ollie!! 

That's correct.....they mounted the electric motor to my vacuum motor mounting plate and used the same vacuum linkage. 

I wanted the intermittent and I am happy with the results, so that's all that counts...Wink

Waiting for the pandemic to clear up so I can go tour America and wear out Road Warrior.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2020 at 8:48am
Time for a update on the mighty Road Warrior.

Due to the Chinese Pandemic, cancelled shows,  we have been hanging around the house more than normal. I was going a bit stir crazy so in August we went to Oklahoma and visited my brother. Found out then that the copper core radiator that came out of the Concord (the drive train donor) was not going to cut it. I was running to hot with the AC on. Solved that issue with a new 3 row Champion. 

That issue is behind us now. 

We have made a couple of big road trips to the NSRA Shows in Knoxville, TN and Springfield, MO. I have decided that we are riding to rough on the front end. Called Brent, owner of Fatman Fabrication, and we have decided that the coil springs in the front suspension are to strong. We now have 550 lbs and were going to drop back to 500. He seems to think that's enough, but we can go as low as 450 lbs. 

Springs are to arrive tomorrow. Will have to get the alignment checked after installation. The big trip to Ocala, FL will be a great road test. 

Another issue has popped up. The windshield wipers. Love the new electric wipers and the extra money for the delay was will spent. The problem is the driver side wiper arm is traveling to far. In the wind it is hitting the windshield rubber. I will have to remove the motor control arm and shorten it up a bit. Not a big issue, hope to do that before the Ocala run.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 58>
  Share Topic