TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 58>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 4:51pm
Before the head goes back on I would check the lift on the cam lobes for #5 with a dial indicator. Compare readings to another cylinders lobes. The leaking valves on #5 shouldn't have caused the ticking noise you described.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2019 at 8:35am
After giving it more thought, I decided why should me and Pete mess with the head when I paid for a valve job?

I took the head back to the machine shop and told Ray what Pete said about the valves needed to be hand lapped in. Ray called Pete and they discussed the matter. They figured that maybe the grinding stone they used when grinding the valves was close to being wore out and left the valve edges to rough. Anyway they hand lapped the valves. They put the head in a cleaning tank and in 4 hours it didn't leak any fluid thru the valves.

Got the motor put back together, with a new set of lifters and Road Warrior fire right up. The motor sounds great !!!! I now believe the issue to have been the valves on #5 not the lifters.

I have had one other issue. According to the temp gauge they motor is running between 220-225 at highway speeds. I don't believe it. The temp sensor is located in the head directly above #6 exhaust port.

My electric fans are cycling on and off as they should. They are operated by a temp sensor in the radiator discharge/block inlet hose. My temp gun agrees too.

I have installed a second temp gauge. I located the sensor in the radiator inlet/block discharge hose. That's going to be the exact temp the motor is running. 

Road Warrior is ready for some test and tune runs to Newton, Mississippi. On hold today as it is rainy and cold today. Tomorrow is supposed a sunny and nice day.

Road report upcoming. Couldn't post any pics of my handy work today as my computer is in the shop getting a windows upgrade. Playing on the wife's laptop.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2019 at 10:18am
I've been following your thread glad to see your getting it ironed out . My 67 convert going to be 4.0 w/auto od
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2019 at 1:41pm
That is the hottest part of the head, so if it runs 220 or so back there it will be 190 or so at the t-stat housing. You might try another sending unit just to be sure though.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2019 at 1:43pm
I am back and cooking with my upgraded computer. Went from windows 7 to 10, so far so good.

Went on our Newton run with Road Warrior. Valves are sounding better with each mile. Running 70 mph on I-20 I came in with 19.5 mpg at 2500 rpm. I changed up the springs in the carb and hope to improve on that.

Here are some pics of my additional temp gauge. Sensor in the discharge hose.

I put the gauge where my co-pilot can read it...…….

I was reading 210-215 degrees on the factory location sensor but the correct water temp was 180. After Teresa got used to the gauge see could tell when the thermostat was opening and closing.

Here is the factory temp sensor location.

You can see it is directly over #6 exhaust.

After some summer use with the AC running, I will most probably run the hose sensor to the dash cluster gauge.

A bit more test and tune in the future.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2019 at 5:41pm
ollie glad to see you getting things ready for next amc season but with thing coming to a end on this build what's next to keep this going lol
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2019 at 7:52am
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

ollie glad to see you getting things ready for next amc season but with thing coming to a end on this build what's next to keep this going lol

My plans are to jump back on Rapid Delivery, my postal jeep, and get the front clip finished up and on. Also need to finish up the new doors.

Still have a few little items on Road Warrior.

Need to save up some money so we can go wear out Road Warrior. Plans are to attend AMO Colorado, Kenosha, AMC Races & Boulder City, NV for sure in 2020. When is your Michigan show?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Dec/14/2019 at 9:06am
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2020 at 2:05pm
Still working out minor issues on Road Warrior. All the valve issues are behind me now.

Had alot of wind noise going down the highway. I had replaced the track  rubber in both doors. I purchased the rubber from Galvins. It fit inside the track good but is way to wide for the windows, making the windows very loose inside the track. I see that the window is riding on the back of the track so I added an insulation strip to the front. 

This is what I glued in. It had glue on it and I added weatherstripping adhesive.

This is what i ended up with..........

Went for a ride today and...... wow..... I really slowed down the wind noise !!!!!!

Found these door straps at Auto Zone. Give my 52 year old arm rests a break.

Still not satisfied with my mpg yet. Changed out the carb springs and tomorrow we are making a highway run to Newton for lunch.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2020 at 1:07am
our Michigan show is held on the weekend of the Woodward dream cruise some time in august
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2020 at 6:59am
These cars have always had some wind noise (63-66 Classic/Ambo and 64-69 Americans), noted in most driving reports when they were new. I might have to try that extra weatherstrip inside the channel on my 63 Classic. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 58>
  Share Topic