TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 58>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 12:22am
Sweet looking 69. The body really is a nice one. A great find.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Ollie, Are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a complete, running '01, 4.0 liter for that? It's cheap! Wink  I'll even include the wiring harness with it. Thumbs Up

Keith,
You’re not the first person to offer me a deal on a 4.0 and trust me I have thought a lot about it.

I am not a mechanic and don’t profess to be. I was car guy as a young fellar and a Tug Boat Captain by profession. Life in-between had different priorities’ and now I am retired I like playing with cars.

I know that a 4.0 is fuel injected and the computer is mighty basic ..101… but I really don’t know anything about it. I figure at 68 years young I had better stick with what I know. I will have enough problems and issues as it is.

I have learned enough not to mess with Clifford Performance junk. I have located an Offenhauser 4 barrel intake that uses the factory exhaust manifold. Going with Elderbrock and Lokar linkage. It’s already proven to be a great combination for me.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 12:14pm
The 258 is finally outa of the Concord.

The exhaust pipe really gave me a hard time. I don't know what that bulge is in the pipe, it is welded together with the pipe. I could not get to the bolts to undo the flange. Every time I tried to pull the motor the bulge would get hung up on the cross member. I had to pull the intake/exhaust manifold.

I guess the Concord is officially a parts car now.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 1:24pm
bulge is most likely a catalytic converter
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Ollie, Are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a complete, running '01, 4.0 liter for that? It's cheap! Wink  I'll even include the wiring harness with it. Thumbs Up

I wish I would have done a 4.0 in my wife’s wagon
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
Ryan91 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 9:56pm
This thing is solid, Ollie! 
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 11:18pm
That bulge is a cat from another car that got welded in there at some point. The original cats were farther down the exhaust and clamped in, not welded. Was the O2 sensor still in the exhaust? I see the air tube from the smog pump.

Be sure to take all the front brake stuff. That is the best year Concord for swapping the brakes into another car.

Edited by maximus7001 - Sep/21/2018 at 11:21pm
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

That bulge is a cat from another car that got welded in there at some point. The original cats were farther down the exhaust and clamped in, not welded. Was the O2 sensor still in the exhaust? I see the air tube from the smog pump.

Be sure to take all the front brake stuff. That is the best year Concord for swapping the brakes into another car.

I am the third owner of this Concord and it's a really un-molested vehicle. I do believe that section of exhaust pipe is original down to the catalic converter. Here is a pic from my cut off by the bulge to the converter.

From the catalic converter on back, i.e., muffler and tailpipe were replaced at some time.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 2:55pm
Found this in the shop manual. "The Bulge" is called a pre-cat. It was used on manual transmissions only. Strange as the vehicle is an automatic. I am 99% positive it left Kenosha as an automatic because all the clutch plugs are there and I know the second owner bought it "as is". The first owner, an older woman, would have bought a automatic.
An AMC Mystery.

Moving on...got the motor mounted on the engine stand and pressure washed and cleaned up. Plan on getting the serpentine belt with the accessories mounted next. That would be AC, ps and 100+ amp alternator. I realize I must change the water to a reverse pump.

Test mounted my Offenhauser 4 barrel manifold. Fit perfect. Thanks Easydean. Purchased the intake from him.

Going to change out the valve cover to aluminum.

Trans cleaned up too.......

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 7:00am
That's the open plenum Offy intake. I like the Dual Port better for street performance, but the open one is a good one too. I did the 4.0L swap in mine and it's great to just go out and hit the key and go without warming up or anything. Driving a carbed vehicle in cooler weather is a bit annoying now! But I still remember what to do with one...  Can't blame you for sticking with what you know though. That Offy and Edelbrock ombo will be great, but would sure like you to upgrade that am with something like an Isky 256 Superam before sticking that engine in...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 58>
  Share Topic