TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 58>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2019 at 3:05pm
Ollie,
Have been following your build thread for quite a while.  Your work is spectacular!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 7:10pm
Still working on the rear end.

The 2 7/8" U bolts arrived and the 7/16" size was the way to go. They fit in the shock mounting plate perfectly. No trimming at all.  

Got going on a brake job and its been a crazy ordeal. I picked up new shoes and wheel cylinders and started on the job. The right side went well and all that was missing was the spring that went on the emergency brake bar. Went thru my brake parts bucket and I had one.

Moved on to the drivers side and pulled the drum.........lol...parts started raining out. Not good. 
One of the hold down pins was gone, a mangled pin spring and the emergency brake bar all fell out.
I went to O'Reilly's and got a hardware kit. When i started to assemble this is what the E brake bar looked like.

Not good. I can't find a kit containing this part. My parts buddy at Ford told me it's used on 9" brakes for 1986 to 1993. I found one on E Bay, $28 includes shipping. Needless to say its on the way. 

At least on side is done.......

Painted some accessories......

The good news about the rear brakes is the drums turned good, even the one with the gouges and my Rambler E brake cables all hooked up so i will be able to get that system working.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Jun/27/2019 at 7:13pm
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 9:40pm
Ah! I've been waiting for updates!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 5:52am
$28 and wait, or a couple hours going to a pull-a-part and finding one for $2... the $26 saved would have been spent in time, so as long as you spent that time doing something useful it was worth it. Sometimes an afternoon nap is "useful", give you the energy to do something else later....
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 8:41am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

$28 and wait, or a couple hours going to a pull-a-part and finding one for $2... the $26 saved would have been spent in time, so as long as you spent that time doing something useful it was worth it. Sometimes an afternoon nap is "useful", give you the energy to do something else later....

Frank......This is what I thought......

My local Pull-A-Part is a 1 1/2 hour drive one way. The vehicles I am looking for are 20 plus years old. Figured I lost all afternoon and still have nothing.........Ouch

Ain't this junk car business fun..........Cool.....hehehehehe

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 9:46am
Got 3 brakes done, still waiting on my emergency brake bar to arrive.

Undercoated all the wheel wells. I had one gallon of old school undercoat that I bought 15 years ago. It is old asphalt based undercoat that I thinned with mineral spirits and painted on. I had a heck of a time finding the stuff 15 years ago and I bought 2 cases then. (Last project, last gallon)

My wheels and tires arrived so I will have the front mounted today.
Plan on getting the battery tray and hood hinges on today.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2019 at 7:18pm
We got brakes !!!!!!!!!!! The 69 doesn't start or move under its own power..yet....but we can stop when we do........Wink

Needless to say that my E Bay Emergency brake bar arrived and it was what I needed. Bled the system today and all works great. The Emergency brake works but have not hooked it up to the E brake pedal yet.

Got my tires on........215/55R/17's. 
Hard to see the stance in these pictures, but I like it. The rear will come down a bit as  I add more weight to the interior, fuel, bumper and luggage in the trunk.

I might have gotten a bit carried away with the tire size. They are going to be mighty close on the front, but I am thinking I am ok on the rear. 205/45R/17 would have been right on the money. It is what it is and if I have to down size........we'll survive. 

Finish up the AC hook up. Sure was a tight area to work in. Lost the glove box but will build a nice console. I will have plenty of room as the shifter is on the column.

Battery tray didn't go exactly as planned, I had to raise it up one inch to clear the alternator. 

Starting on my Haywire harness. I pulled the steering column to give me more working room.

Plans are to set the pinion angle and get the rear end perches welded in over the July 4 weekend.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

3904speed View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2019 at 9:46pm
looks like a top notch job!!
Godspeed 
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2019 at 10:00pm
Fantastic, Ollie! 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2019 at 10:46am
Rear axle pinion angle set and welded to the perches........

Now to get the axle painted...... Going with the gear ratio that's there now, if I don't like it I will drop to 2:73.

Got the trans cooler lines hooked up.

Drive shaft is next. I will get in contact with Jackson Drivetrain and see what measurements they want. They have built drive shafts for me before.

Got the fittings and pressure reducer kit ordered for the power steering hook up. The Mustang rack runs on 1000 psi and the stock pump is about 2000 to 2500. I will have -6 AN fittings when done. Mississippi Rubber will make the hoses when I get the measurements. 

The big next project is the wiring. When I get going on that I need to stay on it and keep my brain in order. That will be a challenge.........  Confused

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 58>
  Share Topic