TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 58>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 6:00am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

You might want to mask the outer edge and spray some white paint on the inside of the bezel so it will reflect light better. White will work as good or better than silver. Won't see the color through the lens.

Good idea Frank. I'll steel wool off the black over spray then add the white.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 7:54pm
Good day today. Worked on the doors. Hinges gave me some trouble. Could not get out 3 of the philip bolts without rounding them off.  Had to use a extractor. 

This door has seen a body shop before. It was pulled out with a slide hammer and the complete door was painted. The car has had a complete paint job after that. The paint you see on the door now is factory paint. 

It does have a couple of low spots. I think the high build primer will fix it, if not, some glazing putty will. I'll get the door handle off tomorrow.

I will fill the mirror holes. I want to move the mirror forward. I want both sides the same and that is to far back for the passenger side. My 66 passenger mirror works good, I look thru the vent window and its a perfect view with a bug eye. 

I am sanding the car down to factory paint.

Frank, I took your suggestion.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2019 at 12:21pm
when you getting your new suspension installed?
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by 5spdwagon 5spdwagon wrote:

when you getting your new suspension installed?

Mike,
I spoke with Thomas and he is planning on picking up "The 69" next weekend. He is finishing up a Corvette...waiting on a Chevy..Cry... that is on lift #3. That's where he will be working on my car. 

Went to the trim shop today and Greg tinted my rear windows. Hope to get them installed soon.

I built a temporary glass storage rack for my window glass so it wouldn't be laying around the shop. 

Still working on my doors. Hope to have them in primer this weekend.

I picked up some new screws for the door hinges. They are torques head rather than phillips head. Big improvement. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 7:33pm
Here here on the torques head screws for door hinges.  The phillips heads are a royal pain!  It's lookin' good, Ollie.  Progress.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2019 at 6:11am
You will find that those philips head screws are probably posi-driv instead. Posi-driv tends to strip out with a philips screwdriver especially if painted. AMC used them in production as early as 1967. Torx was not invented yet so they were trying to use the best at the time like how they used allen head for the window rollers. I used allen heads instead for the front seat forward track bolts.

Edited by maximus7001 - Feb/16/2019 at 6:17am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2019 at 6:51am
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

You will find that those philips head screws are probably posi-driv instead. Posi-driv tends to strip out with a philips screwdriver especially if painted. AMC used them in production as early as 1967. Torx was not invented yet so they were trying to use the best at the time like how they used allen head for the window rollers. I used allen heads instead for the front seat forward track bolts.

Very Interesting....I enjoy learning new stuff !!!! I had no idea but you can tell the difference between the two by a quick glance.

I will definitely be looking for a set of Posi-driv bits.

Fun being around geniuses !!!!!   Clap

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
weramble View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weramble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 6:33pm
Does anybody have any idea what size pozidriv screwdriver to use for the door screws? The head on the srew is quite large. I only see sizes online for #0-#3.

I have been wanting to adjust a few doors on my car for years, but have no chance of getting them off without the proper tools. Pozidriv is new to me. I'm with Ollie, learning something new everyday from the AMC guys.
stocker2038 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stocker2038 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 6:57pm
Ollie thanks for sharing  You do NICE work
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by weramble weramble wrote:

Does anybody have any idea what size pozidriv screwdriver to use for the door screws? The head on the srew is quite large. I only see sizes online for #0-#3.

I have been wanting to adjust a few doors on my car for years, but have no chance of getting them off without the proper tools. Pozidriv is new to me. I'm with Ollie, learning something new everyday from the AMC guys.

I don't know what size they are either. According to the article there are 5 different sizes. Irwin list 3 different sizes and i found this link with 4 different sizes. http://apexbits.com/apex-1-4-pozidriv-insert-bits.aspx

Worked on the doors some more. 

I went to town today and got some glazing putty. I was going to get a spray can of cheap primer and try the guide coat trick. I guess that old timers kicked in and I slam forgot !!   Wacko

Blocked with 220 and a old school rag. More sanding tomorrow and then the final coat of primer.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 58>
  Share Topic