TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 58>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 11:28am
Ollie,

You always seems to have some kind of a cool project going. I get tired out just looking at all the hard work you put in to your projects. Keep up the good work.

Ken

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

I've been anxiously waiting for updates! I'm also glad I get to see this car this weekend 😉

Looking forward to your arrival Patrick. We will be up all Saturday night "talkin' cars" hehehehehe

I am so happy that the 199 engine and back seat out of "The 69" are going to a good AMC home.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

I am, too. Don't know what I'm going to do with the 199. Get it running on a stand for starters, from there... Maybe I'll build a tube chassis for a dune buggy.

Edited by 232jav3sp - Dec/05/2018 at 11:35am
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 6:41pm
Fun day in the AMC business. I finally got the steering column mounted and 100% satisfied. It drops in and out great....fits as good as O.J.'s glove......LOL

Got the mounting rods figured out. Put a clamp on on side that stabilizes the side ways motion and welded a stop washer to the other. 

I like the way it fits in the dash hole.

The E brake pedal fit like it was designed for "The 69".....

Tomorrow i am going to start working on the dash. I am going to fit a aluminum plate over the dash face to mount my Dakota Digital gauge cluster and all the other dash stuff. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 6:42pm
John, my glass man came over and we pulled the windshield. Not one speck of rust under the window. When i pressure washed the other day there were no leaks. I sure see why, they used a ton of sealer when the window was installed in Kenosha. 

I have been surfing the internet about vinyl dash repair. I got the stuff coming. My plan is to fill completely over the speaker holes.

I  made a dash template. The first one is not going to make it. I need to relocate the A/C controls and radio, they are the new cardboard squares. The Dakota Digital module is going to be very close. I might have to delete the A/C vent and put the light, wiper and dash dimmer switches in that location. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Dec/08/2018 at 10:08pm
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 2:53pm
Needless to say, got the motor back from the machine shop. Final verdict was .030 bore and all the rest was std bearings.
 Painting today..........

Back to the interior tomorrow. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2018 at 6:47pm
Started cleaning up the engine internals. All the rocker bridges soaking in xylene. Painted the motor mount plates.

Started on the dash repair. I am using the Polyvance System.
Here is the dash before i started. 

The grill section is very crumbly. I started tapering out the crack. I followed the Polyvance directions. You can see when when you are in the "dead" foam area and when you get to "live" foam.

I cut out the grill area and built it up with a piece of birch cabinet wood. 

Started filling it with the plastic stick filler. The more i played with it I was getting the hang of it. Kind of like working lead. When i was a kid and started working in the body shop my boss, a old school guy, thought me how to lead. 

My friend let me use his plastic iron. It is a $15 Harbor Freight affair. New in the box and he never used it. I worked for about 1/2 hour and i don't want to burn it up. I will finish it up tomorrow. 

I started working in this crack area. I have DA sanded it real thin and i am just about out of the cracking area. 

Think i will put a thin layer of plastic filler rod over this. I want to get better working with the stuff first.

Now that the speaker area has hardened up i am getting pretty confident in the repair. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 6:23am
If you had wanted to keep the speaker grille area open you could have cut the padding out and left the metal grille there, just dressed up the cut edges. What you have is really the older all metal dash with a thin pad over it -- not hard to eliminate the pad and just fill the lip holes, which some have done. Depends on the car -- fully restored has to have the pad, custom/resto-mod it's up to you. Obviously you want to keep the pad, but don't mind a little custom work since you filled in the speaker grille.

Great work on restoring that pad, by the way!! Would like the part number and manufacturer of the kit you used for future reference.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 7:16am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

........-- fully restored has to have the pad, custom/resto-mod it's up to you. Obviously you want to keep the pad, but don't mind a little custom work since you filled in the speaker grille.

Great work on restoring that pad, by the way!! Would like the part number and manufacturer of the kit you used for future reference.

Going resto-mod on this build, Frank. The Ollie MotorSports way....Wink    I think that's why the older dash pads hold up better, like the one in my 66 American. They cover a smaller area and less sun light to effect them. 

I will  fill in all the speaker holes and level off that complete area. 

This is what I have used. They have a video repairing a 240Z dash. 

I see one mistake i have made so far. My glassman told me he had a plastic soldering iron. He didn't tell me it was Harbor Freight. I should have purchased the one from Polyvance.  I bet i will end up buying 2 more Freighters...one to finish the job and 1 to replace Johns. 

The Harbor Freight kit has plastic welding rods but i am not using them. I bet the Polyvance is better quality stuff. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Dec/14/2018 at 7:19am
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 11:49am
That dash pad was in pretty good condition considering it's age and damage. I think it will look good without the speaker grill.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2018 at 7:30am
The HF plastic welder should work fine. The rods are about the same from anyone. You MUST match the type of plastic you're welding with the type rod though. ABS won't stick to PVC, etc. If you don't know what type you're working with it an be tough to figure out. Stick a rod to it and see if it will peel off once cooled (leave some sticking up to pull on). If not it should be the same type.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 58>
  Share Topic