TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2015 at 10:25am
Looks good.  Car shows do provide the incentive.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2015 at 8:34am
A lot of progress to report....

All the wiring is completed. I by-passed the original neutral safety switch and will use the nss on the 727 trans, replaced the original fuse board as the cardboard was falling apart, wired in the new grounded starter solenoid, removed a ballast resistor and a few other tighten ups.

I am going to hook up the battery and test everything today. The starter solenoid should click when I ground it out. The backup lights should work when I put the 2 brown wires from the nss switch together.

I freshed up the undercoat under the transmission hump. I have one gallon of old school tar based undercoat.

Transmission cooler is mounted and the gas pedal and throttle cable are done.

If my electrical tests go good, I will be ready to put the engine in tomorrow.
Ollie
more pics...
http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6919970
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2015 at 7:42am
Moving On !!!!!
All of my new fuse boxes checked out good. Had one minor issue but figured it out. I had a hot wire for the courtesy lights that I had to get out of the system.

Now for the sad part. I killed my ignition switch with kindness. The solenoid wire was loose on the switch and I put my 3/8 socket on it and tightened it up. I also checked all the other connections for tightness too. This was not the thing to do.

During my final quality control test my ignition switch was not working in the start position. It was sending power to the solenoid in the run mode not the start mode.

I guess my tightening the 50 year old connectors broke something in the switch. I have a new switch on the way.

Plans are to get the motor and trans in today.
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2015 at 8:20am
Great Day in the AMC Business...!!!!!!!!!!

Motor and transmission are in the Rambler. The transmission bolted right up to the transmission cross member. The only thing we did was turn the post jeep trans mount upside down. Tunnel clearance is perfect.

It looks as if the floor shifter out of the jeep is going to work, but it looks like I will have to fabricate a new linkage rod.

I having fun, hope you are too
Ollie
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2015 at 8:52am
If you get a chance, post a picture of that floor shifter.  The regular AMC shifter (in the cars) is an odd duck and although it works well, they are getting scarce I think.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2015 at 4:21pm
Joe, here are pictures of the postal jeep shifter.

Its made mighty simple. I think I can fabricate up something. Its going to be uniquely AMC.

A lot of progress on the Rambler. Starting to look like a real car now.
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2015 at 7:46pm
Progress might be slow at times, but better than no progress

A bit of destruction before progress...

Got the shifter from Rapid installed. I bet I am one of the few Americans with a postal jeep shifter.

Had to shim the shifter up a bit off the floor/hump, but everything else are the original parts from Rapid. Needs a bit more adjustment or as I should say tweaking by Ollie MotorSports...

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 8:23am
Still a work in progress but I have been working.

Shifter is completed, adjusted and works fantastic, maybe not a speed slap shifter but a cool AMC piece anyway.

Tore apart my old console for a template for the new one. I had a major design fault in my old console. I have an electric speedometer, oil pressure and amp gauge and it so happened that when you were driving down the road the spoke of the steering wheel lined up perfectly with the gauges and you had to look either up or down to see them. This will be corrected in this model.

Engine compartment is completed as far as I can go. I got this side of the engine ready to light off and start playing AMC.

This side??? Looks mighty bear. Still waiting on Clifford Performance. I am not to impressed by Larry the head honcho, seems to be unable to keep his business moving at reasonable rate. I ordered his header, intake, Weber carb package the 28 May {charged my credit card the full amount that date} and still no intake yet. Almost tired of calling him...standard answer....will ship this week...

Hope you are having fun with your AMC, I am.
Ollie
more pics...http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6919970
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 7:28pm
I worked on the console today. It was 96 degrees in my shop. Hard to get outa the air conditioned house. Didn't get to far from the fan either !!

Sneak pre-view....

Have fun,
Ollie
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 1:19am
The console looks good, Ollie What's the blue digital gauge in the center?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>
  Share Topic