TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 9:59am
Progress to report.....Heater core in in, connected and working !! Finally getting a bit of order restored.......

Got the second coat of fiberglass repair on my fire wall. I put glass on both sides if the wall. This repair may not be acceptable to some, but it works for me.

Outside fire wall...

Now all I have to do is work on the wire bundle and speedometer cable fire wall pass thru holes. I got some window caulk, dum-dum, for that at the hardware store. One of todays projects.

Now I got another story for you. My original speedometer started making noise so I just disconnected it and decided to go with an electric speedometer. I think that was a good decision. It seems that when working on hotrods, speedometers have always been an issue. Seems you can never find a gear to match all your mods, i.e., different tire sizes, gears ratios, etc. By going electric all you do is recalibrate your speedometer to any combination you have and it is 100% accurate.

I went with a Dakota Digital 2 1/16" speedometer. At the time they wanted over $100 for their 8 pulse generator. I found a 6 pulse generator at a taxi cab web site for $25. Bought it and it worked great !!!

Now 47,000 miles later on the generator and speedometer the speedometer gauge is starting to mess up. Between 55-63 mph the speed is jumping around and will not settle down. I firmly believe that the pulse generator is messing up and causing the problem.

I saw in the Summit catalogue that they had Dakota Digital pulse generators for $28. I bought one and I am going to replace it. I hope that fixes my issue.

Sure looks to me as the both generator units came from the same stamping machine.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Dec/17/2017 at 11:10am
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 11:58am
I definitely need to go back and look at your speedometer set up. Mine jumps around horribly. Pull the cable from the sheath, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled with no luck. The speedo head wirks well by hand. Might be in trans?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 1:22pm
For larger things like hoses, bundles or bunches of wires, etc. get some pipe insulation - the sort made of "foam" that's slitted on one side to slip over water pipes in your home. You can get various sizes. 
Cut off an inch, slip it over the wires or hose and stuff it into the hole in the firewall. It's a whole lot like what the factory used in some areas. 
Yeah, you'll have enough to wrap or cover some of the pipes in your home when you are done with your car unless you have a bazillion holes in the firewall that you have things going through. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

I definitely need to go back and look at your speedometer set up. Mine jumps around horribly. Pull the cable from the sheath, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled with no luck. The speedo head wirks well by hand. Might be in trans?

Won't be in the transmission - that's a direct drive gear to gear. It's got to be cable or head. 
If the cable has a sharp bend and the wire is weak it will wind up, unwind, wind up, unwind and make the head jump. If the head is worn or dirty it may turn fine by hand but keep in mind unless driving it via a drill you aren't approaching the actual speed the cable turns it when going down the highway........
So you can ignore the transmission unless the gear is totally SHOT and parts ground off of it.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

Bills right.
Your problem is in the speedometer head. That's your dash speedometer. I saw at least 3 1966 speedometer dash units FOR SALE in Boulder City, NV. They all had less than 20K miles ...they are ok.

To hook up a electric speedometer all you need is..

1. a generator unit that screws in your 7/8 inch female speedometer cable ...aka.. the cable connection to the back of your speedometer

2. a speedometer gauge

3. 12 V key ignition power supply

Drive the vehicle 1 mile to calibrate the speedometer Its 100% correct.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 11:37am
Cable is nicely routed. Will have to try the drill trick.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 1:19pm
Got the paint shop at Ollie MotorSports running wide open. Got the grill off and painted.

A bit of touch up on Mr. Rambler

This is what I used to caulk up around the wires thru the firewall. It stays soft and pliable.

That should work for me. Will put everything back together tomorrow. Just watching paint dry..........how exciting !!

I will pick up the carpet on our trip to Corinth, MS. We always spend Christmas with the wife's family. There is great carpet and upholstery supply shop there.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 2:04pm
The Rambler participated in a "live fire" exercise today. Teresa drove the water hose and poured it to him while I was stuffed inside observing.
The results were SPECTULAR !!! NO runs, NO drips, NO errors

Got the grill and new wiper blades installed...

Finally, the new door jam switches that I picked up in Kenosha are in

Had a big hiccup today..Went to my local parts stores to buy a power port. Nobody had one. O'Rielys, AutoZone, Advanced....nothing.

Thank the good Lord for E-Bay. Got a Dorman coming.

Wishing Everybody ........Merry Christmas

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Dec/20/2017 at 2:33pm
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 8:01pm
Looks great Ollie. Merry Christmas to you and Teresa from Keith and Pam!!

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 12:13am
Looking very nice, Ollie!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
  Share Topic