TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 27>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 6:20pm
Its been a great year for The Rambler. He logged 18,000 miles on the highways and by ways of America this year. We attended AMC events in Kenosha, WS, Dayton Beach, FL, Temple, TX and Boulder City, NV. NSRA events in Springfield, MO and Pueblo, CO.

I have finally got my exhaust header issues behind me now.

On our trip to Boulder City I had to turn on the heat a few times and I am smelling anti-freeze. I kept a good eye on my water and never used a drop.

Today I pulled the heater core and I see this........

Of course there is a bit more disassembly than expected, always is..

Going to re-carpet and a couple of interior upgrades.

Have not located a heater core yet, looks like I am going to take it to my radiator shop and see what my radiator man wants to do.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 11:02pm
Good luck Ollie! Glad to see the old rambler made it 18,000 hard earned miles! I hope it keeps going for many more.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2017 at 12:37am
Man, Ollie. You are getting your money's worth out if your great 66 Rambler. Having major league AMC fun! Love to see all the things you are working on.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2017 at 5:38pm
More dis-assembly of The Rambler....

I was not happy with the carpet job I did last time. I think my skills have improved. I also have located a steamer too. That's really going to help a lot on the next install too.

I also have a really good pattern to work with.

I will also remove the headlight bezels and grill for a new paint job.

My motor is really looking fantastic too. No oil leaks or water leaks to clean up, just road film and bug guts.

Might only be a 232 six but the 256 cam, edelbrock carb and intake/exhaust manifold is a great combination. Don't really think there is any room for improvement.

Sure am thinking about building another American and upgrading it more.

Tomorrow I take the heater core to the radiator shop.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 6:00pm
Ollie, I take it your latest exhaust gasket - header fix cured the problems in that area???
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Ollie, I take it your latest exhaust gasket - header fix cured the problems in that area???

Yes it did. I am a believer in the Remflex gasket. Plan on using one on my next build, a 258.

I ended up with a lot of weld on the Clifford headers, but finally met with success. The porting is terrible, but they don't leak any more !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 8:04pm
Status update on my heater core. Larry, my radiator man is going to build a new one. My end tanks are in great shape so he is going to replace the core. Ordered the new core so he should be done by Monday or Tuesday depending on how fast the core gets here. $140 so not to bad. Not a $39 chevy..........lol

Cleaned up my heater box and freshen up the motor paint.

Should even smell better. After I cleaned out the dried up anti-freeze I sprayed it with Free Breeze....hehehehehe   

I have been getting water inside the drivers floor when it rains. I have not had that issue until I changed my gas pedal and its been getting worse. I figured out what's the problem. I had to change the gas pedal to cable and I have holes in my fire wall.

When I first did it I glued rubber over the holes. It worked ok till the glue dried up. All the water is coming in the fire wall. Now I am going to fiberglass up all the holes.

A few other mods have made a few more holes.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 8:35pm
I've got a water leak in my Rambler as well. Looking like the cowl. Looking forward to our cars spending quality time together at shows!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

I've got a water leak in my Rambler as well. Looking like the cowl. Looking forward to our cars spending quality time together at shows!

Water leak in the cowl.......that's what I thought too and one of the reasons I was not to excited about starting repair. Upon inspection everything looked so good, no visible rot at all. I did a "live" water hose test and I almost drown. All the water was coming in thru holes in the firewall. I was surprised !!

For Sure.....we can mate our Ramblers. What's going to be the offspring? A 3 door hatch back with a sunroof ?????   

Picked my heater core from the Radiator Shop today.
Looks like new money.

To cold today to play in the shop. Its in the 40's today. I heat with propane bottles and Mr. Heater units. I would have to use both heaters with both elements running to warm up my shop. Tomorrow will be 10 degrees warmer. I can deal with that.

Did get my first coat of fiberglass firewall repair done.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 7:43pm
Looks nice, Ollie. Stay AMC fun warm!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 27>
  Share Topic