TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 27>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 12:56am
Good luck to you and Pete. Looks like some 'ol never say die Mississip sticktoitiveness! Hope it Rambles soon.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 6:41am
Hey Ollie, know of anyone that could port match your headers for you? That should free up a few horsepower that was lost to rough casting of the exhaust flanges. Just use some dykem layout fluid on your manifold where you intend the gasket to go and either scribe out the inside of the gasket area or put the dykem over the gasket itself to give you an idea of what needs to be hogged out a bit. It should make a pretty noticeable difference in power and could eliminate blow-by as well. Just a thought! Looks like you're making some pretty good progress as it is!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by SeanHatfield SeanHatfield wrote:

Hey Ollie, know of anyone that could port match your headers for you?............

Not really..... I am mighty confident in the headers. I did trim up the gasket with a dremel tool. It's just mighty poor workmanship by the original builder.

My friend Pete came over today and we pulled the head and #5 cyl exhaust valve is leaking oil. The rubber boot (seal) looks good and the guide feels good.

I cleaned and painted in the engine compartment.

Took the head to the machine shop. Told Mr. Massey to put in all new seals and check out #5 valve.

Waiting on the head....I will most probably play with Rapid Delivery.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2017 at 7:26pm
NEW TOYS ARRIVED TODAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought some LED taillight bulbs. If a 1157 fits, theses are supposed to fit and work. They actually look smaller.

I also bought the inline resistors for the turn signal wire. I have read you need them to get the bulb to flash properly. We shall see. I will be an expert after I get everything working.

Going to have many pictures as I install them on The Rambler. I want to see pictures of how much brighter they actually are.

Also received the LED lights and flashers for Rapid Delivery.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2017 at 11:51pm
Can't wait to see some pics at dark after installation. Mighty cool I bet.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2017 at 5:46pm
Many updates for The Rambler........

First , The Engine
Got the head back from the machine shop with all new valve seals. Mr. Massey checked the valve guides and said all was good. No charge, warranty work he said. Fantastic news.

Engine is back together and running perfect. Went to a car show today and had a good time. No issues. I hope we got the problem with the leaking headers solved.

Now on to the LED light bulbs. I am not impressed at all. I think I should have invested my money in beer !!!!! I would have been better off !!!

In this pic the LED bulb is the right rear, all others stock. Lights in taillight mode. Maybe its a bit brighter ?????

Here is a pic of the brake lights...LED is right..

I don't see anything different in this pic. They all look the same to me.

I went ahead and put both LED bulbs in, then my issues began. I was having problems with a blinker not working, brake lights not working properly. It was like the correct filament of a 1157 bulb was not working properly. In other words the bight filament was on when the dim filament was supposed to be on.

A few beers latter I said...."heck with this, put the 1157 bulbs back in and lets Ramble on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Looks like its the end of trail as far as LED and The Rambler go.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

PS...have 2 LED Bulbs FOR SALE.....

Edited by Ollie - Sep/09/2017 at 8:32pm
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 2:10pm
I took The Rambler to the muffler shop. My exhaust pipes are tricky and I am not a good muffler man.

Kevin got me fixed up.

These 2 brackets will really hold the pipes in place. He also installed the Remflex header collector gaskets too. You can see the Remflex exhaust/intake gasket good in this picture too.

I think the added weld to the header and the best gasket available I should be fixed.

I can see the gasket and weld protruding below the head when I look up there.

Getting ready for the Temple, Texas run. See ya there

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2017 at 7:02am
Been out ramblin' in The Rambler. Had a great trip to Temple, Texas to attend the AMO Regionals. 1019 miles round trip and it was a fun drive for both The Rambler and us.

Enjoyed the weekend with fellow AMC's. I am totally impressed by WARBED's 59 Rambler wagon. I am attracted to creativity!! An awesome project and it got my vote!!!

Got The Rambler up on the lift and did an inspection of the exhaust manifold gasket. It looks GREAT in my failure area. Here is a picture...

The gasket looks good on the whole manifold. Think I am on the right track. This weekend we are going to Natchitoches, LA and next week is Cruising the Coast. Should have close to 2500 miles on the new gasket before our Las Vegas run. If its still doing good by them....

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2017 at 10:14am
Sounds like the rambler is treating you right! I admit I'm quite envious of all of those trips you've made... maybe someday when I get some time off. But, definitely going to be at the 2018 AMO show since it's about an hour and a half from home. Best of luck with the rest of your trips and safe travels!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 12:17pm
My fellow AMC Friends...
Had a good trip and car show to Natchitoches, LA. (pronounced..nack-a-tish)The oldest city in the Louisiana Purchase. Ok, class dismissed.

There was one other Rambler and I couldn't even take a picture. It was a 59 wagon body attached to a air ride frame with big wheels. Done up patina style. The most exciting thing was the AMC Air conditioned tag.
Maybe I should open up a bit to the fact it was a Rambler...hehehehehe

Got The Rambler up on the lift and inspected the header gasket. It is perfect at least looking from the outside. Total 1500 miles now. I am feeling better.

Wednesday we are off to Crusin' the Coast. I know of 3 AMC's that should be at the Mopar Cruise-In in Long Beach Thursday morning. We are coming home after lunch.

Here is The Ramblers claim to fame at the Texas Regionals..

Hope you enjoyed my rants
Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 27>
  Share Topic