TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 27>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 4:30pm
Back about 40 years ago I worked weekends at my dad's transmission shop. The memory is fuzzy, but I remember a small seal on the throttle valve shaft that would weep after sitting. I think it's because the torque converter drains back and raises the fluid level in the case to the point it weeps out of the throttle valve shaft. You can replace the seal, but it's not easy with the trans in the car as it's on the top of the case kickout. I remember my dad made his own tool because it was so common.

Love your videos! The sis sounds sweet!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

........... I think it's because the torque converter drains back and raises the fluid.... weeps out of the throttle valve shaft.........

Love your videos! The sis sounds sweet!

Thanks for the exhaust sound comment ......I love it too !!!

No, my trans leak is not there. I have fixed two leaks, the kickdown adjustment bolt and a leaking neutral safety switch. I can see exactly where it is leaking, the pan left front corner, top of gasket, transmission side. If you get it hot everyday it doesn't leak. So the answer is a Daily Driver that sometimes marks his territory !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 11:57pm
Nice videos and pics, Ollie. Looked like some super AMC fun!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 10:26am
Thanks to LakesideRamblin The Rambler now has two workable windshield wipers!!

I bought 2 correct arms, a left and right, from Matt. I didn't know there were two different sizes and actually the twist on the ends are different.

Getting ready for a cruise to the NSRA Show in Pueblo, CO next week. Hopefully I will not have to use my new wipers but we are ready if needed.

I painted them flat black as my wife says the sun reflects off the arms into her eyes. I fixed her up.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 7:42pm
Lookin' good, Ollie. Like the flat black. Goes with your other black accent colors! That's called designer style 😃
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 1:26pm
Just a report on our Pueblo, CO trip. ALL WAS FANTASTIC. The Rambler preformed flawlessly on the 2659 mile trip. We stayed on all 2 lane road, turned 2800-3000 rpm, 68-72 mph most of the time.

The only hiccup was the oil pressure gauge. It is a cheap Stewart Warner electric. It reads good for awhile, 60 psi and drops to 10 psi. It was painful when it would drop to 0. I knew it was not the pump, either they work or not. Ordered a Autometer today.

Burned almost a qt of oil. I think that's reasonable. Will change the oil gauge and a service before we head to Kenosha.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 8:02am
The Rambler is getting attention and service before our Kenosha trip. I ordered a new AutoMeter oil pressure gauge and it arrived yesterday. Started on the project.

I built the console and its about the six one I have built over my junk car time. It is actually the second one for The Rambler. Incorporated a lot of knowledge in the design. It was built to be worked on.

I had one fault that I was able to fix during the gauge replacement. I had to put in a new convertible top switch as the factory original died. When I installed it I put it in upside down. I was able to flip it around with the console out. Now you push the switch "up" the top goes up.

Will finish up the gauge tomorrow.

Plan on new plugs, oil change, grease job, fuel filter/air cleaner change, and engine tune-up tweaking.

Figured up my gas mileage and the entire trip averaged 20.1 mpg. Not bad in my book.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 12:03pm
Looking good. Love that console. Since I do not have a floor shifter, I am actually working on one that will hold 3 aftermarket gauges, a double din head unit, drink holders and a small storage area. And I also want to mount speakers to the side like you did so that I do not have to cut up my dash or door panels.

Got a template for the final console? Lol.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 12:59pm
I need to be making a console fir my American.  Might have to revisit the pages of Ollie building his!

Edited by 232jav3sp - Jul/04/2017 at 1:22pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 1:29pm
Good, Ollie, I hope to get to SEE this car and how far it's come along.

I need to find someone with a 3D printer to make a small trim part for my SX4 console.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 27>
  Share Topic