TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 27>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2017 at 6:52pm
Ollie, basic question (and I am not trying to be a know it all):   but did you count the quarts of ATF when you put them in the tranny?  Perhaps you overfilled it?   Wrong dipstick?   Just a thought.    Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 7:50am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Got it and just installed it.  My problem is that I don't have the engine in yet.......

Ya Matt, having the engine in sure makes for a better ride....I know that your wife cannot push as fast as you wanta to go !!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehehehe

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 8:05am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Ollie, basic question (and I am not trying to be a know it all):   but did you count the quarts of ATF when you put them in the tranny?  Perhaps you overfilled it?   Wrong dipstick?   Just a thought.    Joe

Thanks for the input but that's not the issue. The dip stick comes inside the pan as a 727 should. You should be able to see about a 1/2" or so of the dip stick with the pan off.

I did drive the Rambler to a car show in Brookhaven, MS this past weekend. Only about 150 miles round trip. It did leak in the hotel parking lot Friday night as I saw fluid when leaving to the show Saturday AM.

Got home Saturday evening and parked in my shop. No fluid leak as of Sunday AM, but by Sunday evening I had leaking. Same spot.

The stainless steel drip pan that my cousin gave me so does not lie. Maybe cardboard was better when I could not tell how much of a leak I had !!!! lol

My Mopar gasket will arrive this week. Keith, I was sitting next to a Mopar buddy and he told me his 904 leaks all the time. He's going to get the Mopar gasket too. I am spreading the word in the Southland. Sure hope it works as I may be shaking everybody up for nothing !!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 9:11am
Been a slow week in The Rambler business. No local car shows this weekend, but do have a big local show this coming Fri, Sat & Sunday. Plan on attending with The Rambler and his leaky fixed.

Here is a shot of my stainless steel drip pan. This was 24 hr leakage.

Looks like The Rambler is bleeding to death !!!

My new trans pan gasket did arrive Saturday. Wow, what an improvement over the cork gasket.

You can see how thick it is.

It is a Chrysler part, but there are knock off's out there.

Wife has to go to the eye Dr Monday and rain for Tuesday. Good forecast Wed so that should be the day. The drain plug sure has turn out to be a great addition to my new trans pan. Has saved a bunch of fluid $ by being able to drain and reuse it.

I am mighty confident that this go round I will meet with success, tho I have said that before !! Not many options left other than weld the pan on !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 10:23am
I love the steel embossed gaskets.  

Ollie, the pan's bolt holes haven't been conical'd have they?  Common problem with people over tightening thin pans with cork or rubber gaskets.  I've had to tap the holes flush on many a trans pan.  I'd be willing to bet you have done the same.  Just an area to look at if you overlooked it.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

I love the steel embossed gaskets.  

Ollie, the pan's bolt holes haven't been conical'd have they?  Common problem with people over tightening thin pans with cork or rubber gaskets.  I've had to tap the holes flush on many a trans pan.  I'd be willing to bet you have done the same.  Just an area to look at if you overlooked it.

I agree...that happens and yes, been there and done that.
Some GREAT advice.

I am dealing with a new pan. Thanks for the drain plug, its saving me a gallon of trans fluid each gasket change.

Have AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 2:49pm
Guess that everyone has had a recent round of winter. Even so here in the sunny warm Southland. Old man winter stopped all progress on The Rambler.

Nice warm up this weekend and had a fantastic time at the Mississippi Street Rod Club's annual Car Show. It is a pre-49 club but this year the opened up to pre 1972 vehicles. As always we were the only AMC.

Been driving The Rambler with the leaking trans pan. Today I am going to change the pan gasket. Got a couple pictures of the leak.

March 12

March 19

More updates to follow.
Have AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 2:15pm
The Ramblers trans pan gasket is installed and no leak yet.

Getting The Rambler ready for a nice cruise this coming weekend. We are going to the Turkey Run in Daytona Beach, FL. Its going to be a 1600 mile run. Should be a good test of this winters upgrades and repairs.

I am mighty confident.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 7:51am
The Rambler and us had a great trip to Daytona Beach to attend the Turkey Run Car Show. Enjoyed being with the First Coast AMC Club as they held there annual event at the Car Show. Great bunch of guys and gals. Saw old friends and met new ones.

I took a bunch of pictures and also movies as we made a lap at the Speedway. Of course the Rambler was leading the pack !!!!

Seems as all my issues that I worked on this past winter are solved. I am most excited about the steering. My new steering box is almost like power steering. Actually I think PS would be overkill. My exhaust/intake problems are solved too.

Only pesky problem is the trans pan. When The Rambler is driven daily the gasket swells up and no leaky. The Rambler sat on the cement pad at the Racetrack all day Fri, Sat and Sunday and not a drop of any fluid. After arriving home and 2 days later I got a small amount of trans fluid leak. My thoughts.......The Rambler loves to ramble and if at 51 years old he wants to leak a bit.....so be it. Heck at 67 I got a few issues and leaks myself !!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday did an oil change and grease job. The Rambler is ready for this weekends adventure to the Gulf Coast Auto Show and Mega Cruise In in Gulfport, Mississippi.

Enjoy the pictures..http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/14444239

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Mar/30/2017 at 7:55am
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 9:16am
AMCs don't leak, they just mark their territory. LOL

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 27>
  Share Topic