TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil supply during priming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil supply during priming
    Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 5:45pm
Had a quick question on something that bothered me while I was priming the oil pressure with a drill. 

The first rocker that had oil flowing out the pushrod was the intake on cyl #1. Held steady low rpm's and it by itself was pooling enough oil before the others I had to stop so it wouldn't overflow on my floor.

Tried it a couple more times and a couple others rockers on both banks had a slow flow but I had a couple that wouldn't prime in the amount of time I had, in order to get oil to them I had to use a small pick and plug that intake rocker on cyl # 1, which then I finally got all to prime.

Wasn't able to go too high on the rpms due to no valve covers yet but when I did a quick burst oil was shot out of the same rocker a good foot across my garage floor. 

Is this normal? No oil modifications to the block.

Pic attached is literally after spinning the oil pump by hand a couple rotations, not even with a drill.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 6:12pm
Going from my way back period of dealing with my 304 and an emergency bridge stud repair. I had used dried up cork gaskets to limp to the parts store. Oil would find its way out of the cracked gaskets at idle, and I set mine around 650 RPM.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Going from my way back period of dealing with my 304 and an emergency bridge stud repair. I had used dried up cork gaskets to limp to the parts store. Oil would find its way out of the cracked gaskets at idle, and I set mine around 650 RPM.

Wait what lol?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 8:12pm
Just saying a lot of oil gets pumped up into the rocker assemblies. I imagine having no pumped up lifters allows a bit more oil to flow easier, thus the squirting beyond the lip of the head.

I think the amount of oil you see depends on lifter, pushrod, and rockers used. So in testing with a basically static engine, any number of variances can happen. I bet if you turn the crank every 60 degrees and do the same test, you will see some variance. Though now you have oil filled lifters so in comparing your initial tests, the original findings will need to be struck due to improper lifter loading before installation. I think the tsm has a section on loading up new lifters before installation.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 8:28pm
Rotate the engine a couple of 1/4 turns while priming. Some lifters are up on their cam lobes and not registering with the oil gallery. Those lifters are also fully collapsed. You have to get them off the lobe for them to prime and flow oil.

Rotating the engine through a couple of 1/4 turns also makes sure all the rods get oil. Partial groove main bearings don't supply oil to the rods until the oil hole in the main journal lines up with the groove in the bearing. If you prime the engine without rotating it a couple times, then some rod bearings will be dry.

Edited by FSJunkie - Mar/25/2017 at 8:33pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Just saying a lot of oil gets pumped up into the rocker assemblies. I imagine having no pumped up lifters allows a bit more oil to flow easier, thus the squirting beyond the lip of the head.

I think the amount of oil you see depends on lifter, pushrod, and rockers used. So in testing with a basically static engine, any number of variances can happen. I bet if you turn the crank every 60 degrees and do the same test, you will see some variance. Though now you have oil filled lifters so in comparing your initial tests, the original findings will need to be struck due to improper lifter loading before installation. I think the tsm has a section on loading up new lifters before installation.

Ah, gotcha. I rotated it over about 180 degrees and didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe it needs to be rotated more. My concern was just why that particular rocker was getting so much more flow then the others. This is all aftermarket valve train too. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 8:44pm
FSJunkie, has it right... I assumed you were just doing preload... and found some oiling variances. Now it looks like you did not go and rotate in 1/4 turns once the drill loads up from pressure. 180 degrees is only half the cycle, you need to do every 90 degrees and at least 4 times to make a complete bottom end cycle.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 10:03pm
when I worked in the shop (AMC) i worked on a verifier by cold test and we used to get lifters that would shoot oil about 3ft over engine with valve cover off this was called an open lifter and would need to be changed what caused it was a small piece for debris in the lifter bore and we would save them for the lifter rep and he would take them apart to see what was wrong or what was the cause a lifter is quite a work of art when you listen to the rep explain how they are manufactured them it was very interesting
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2017 at 11:06pm
I didn't have a drill when I primed my 232 after a rebuild. I just turned the oil pump with a large screwdriver as fast as I could by hand until I saw oil at every rocker arm. One of them shot oil a good foot or two into the air and got me right in the face.

After that experience I quit worrying about oil pressure on my engines. The rocker arms are the last things to get oil, and if I could force oil up to them just turning the oil pump by hand then I'm not worried about the oil delivery while running.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 11:01pm
Not too worried about it, just thought it was odd why that specific rocker was getting so much oil. Anyway while I got a thread up I also noticed oil weepage under the head of one head bolt. The others are all dry and I double checked the torque on him and he was good at 100 ft-lbs. 

Definitely not tearing it back down for that little guy, hasn't fired yet like I said only oil pressure is by drill. Maybe it'll seal after running, if not I could try some sealer on the bolt. Kinda bizarre as I thought the holes were blind. Ah the joys of rebuilding.

They're arp bolts, and the lubricant that came with them was used.

Edited by Moffman - Mar/26/2017 at 11:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic