TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil pump rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil pump rebuild
    Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 7:53am
I'm rebuilding oil pump on 69 343. Book says to not use grease of any kind on it.
But to insure self priming use petrolatum. I can not ind this anywhere is there a modern substitute for it?
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 8:11am
Petrolatum aka petroleum jelly, brand name Vaseline.

They still make it.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 5:06pm
I squirt some oil up in the pump gears through the oil filter adapter inlet so it will prime.

-Steve-

Mikel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 5:17pm
I prefer to prime the engine by turning the oil pump with a drill.
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 8:23pm
Just fill it up with assembly lube, you can pick it up at any parts store. Then spin the oil pump with a drill, and check for pressure. The lube will liquefy in the oil.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Mikel Mikel wrote:

I prefer to prime the engine by turning the oil pump with a drill.

Me too but to start the prime I get oil on the gears so they don't damage the top & bottom of the oil pump housing.

-Steve-
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 9:50pm
In case you didn't know, KY comes from the pharmacy! Thumbs Up
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 9:57pm
Do not use assembly lube. melt point is to high on a lot of it. You don't want it in your lifters.
Just get some Vaseline it work , priming with oil may not work , it is hit and miss if you don't get enough in there to start with.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Apr/27/2015 at 10:00pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Halfbreed View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halfbreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 11:10pm
I agree with tyrodtom and needfasteramx. I have always used petroleum jelly, but also fill your oil filter with oil and let it soak in until you cant put any more oil in it, then screw it on. If you are just rebuilding the oil pump , probably no need to pull the dist and prime, just fire it up after you filled the filter and packed the housing with vaseline. However if you are starting a dry motor for the first time ever, Definately Prime the pump till you have oil pressure then reinstall the dist and fire her up. Some would agree some wouldnt,  Just the way I was taught by the old timers back in the day.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2015 at 5:33am
As with anything new I assemble I use oil to coat the surface..I turn the drill backwards to pull oil out of the filter...I don't like the petroleum jelly because in my mind it is a restriction packed in the oil filter until it melts
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic