TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil Pressure Readings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pressure Readings
    Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 9:31pm
I have a 69 American with the 199 6cyl, just put new gauges in it, and it's reading about 33-35 pounds on the oil pressure guage at cold start up and idle, then when it really warms up it drops to about 12-15 pounds of pressure at idle, and when you give it throttle, it goes back up to around 20-24 pounds, I'm just wondering if this is good or bad oil pressure for a 199, it runs awesome and sounds great, but this is my first 6cyl AMC and I'm just not sure what's a good pressure reading...thanks for any help
From the day your born, until that ride in the hearse, when you think things are bad they could always be worse!!
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 9:46pm
When oil gets hot, it gets thinner.   I would consider the oil pressure to be a bit low, but its got some miles on it.   If it runs ok, no noise, just drive it.    I had a chevy 6 that had 5 pounds at 55 mph.......maybe 1/2 pound idling......it was wornout.....
Caddyman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 9:55pm
Thanks purple72grimlin, Yeah the car runs and sounds great, so far it has given me no reason to doubt it's a solid engine, I just wasn't sure on an AMC 6cyl.
From the day your born, until that ride in the hearse, when you think things are bad they could always be worse!!
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2014 at 2:24am
A trusted mechanic once told me that as long as you have at least 10 pounds of pressure per 1000rpm you should be OK.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2014 at 6:34am
According to the 66 TSM, the oil pressure light is set to trip at 4 psi or lower.

I always went by Smokey Yunnick's standard of 10 psi per 1000 rpm.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2014 at 8:11am
The stock spec for oil pressure is 13psi at hot idle so you're okay there. What RPM do you hit when you see pressure in the low 20's? Also, what weight oil are you running? You shouldn't be running anything lighter than 30 weight (10w30). Oil presure should come up pretty fast but if you're only adding a few hundred RPM, it may not move the needle much.

Since your hot idle pressure is good, this may be a problem with the pressure relief valve (worn bearings generally cause low presure at idle as well). I think that's part of the oil pump on the sixes but changing the oil pump isn't much fun (you either pull the engine or drop the engine crossmember to pull the oil pan).

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
Caddyman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2014 at 11:07pm
Thanks guys, I actually drove it for the first time today after installing the new gauges, and after it warmed up, even just pulling away from a stop sign, it jumped to almost 40 lbs of pressure, I think it's idled down a little low as well, I'm going to get the carb adjusted, but I think the oil pressure is fine after reading the posts.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2014 at 3:07pm
I think it is ok. You discovered why many cars come with a light instead of a gauge.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Caddyman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2014 at 6:39am
Thanks 6768rogues, your probably right, because the oil pressure light never came on while it had the original gauges in the car.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic