TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OIL PRESSURE PROBLEM RESOLVED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OIL PRESSURE PROBLEM RESOLVED
    Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 11:39am
We had a previous oil pressure problem coming down from our last dyno pull and we posted a while back to get some feed back. After some replies we said Houston we have a problem and it was time to pull the motor. After pulling the pan it was clear the pickup tube cracked right at the block. When the tube flexed the crack would open. My remedy was to go external with an Armando pan. After looking at the oiling system Jims Tooling Solutions decided to modify the timing cover and plug the void in the block and modify for a Motorcraft oil filter to be used. There was some controversy about this on the Forum but the results speak for themselves. The oil pressure shot to 70 PSI with priming the pump with a drill on its slowest rotation. We will now be testing the longevity of these modifications.
JTSLLC1
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 11:46am
Running a single line is a great way to pick up oil. Typically one would plug the hole for the stock pickup. It looks like you did that with epoxy. Installing a large cartridge filter is another good old trick. All one needs is an aluminum adaptor ring. The problem with a super large cartridge is fitting one in the engine bay.

Sending oil back to the motor from a remote is best done using the oil pressure fitting hole and opening it from a 3/8 npt to a 1/2 npt.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 12:04pm
The oil passage is blocked at both ends and there is no epoxy that is actually a machined piece of aluminum inserted in an EDM pocket for the option of removal to go back to an internal pickup.

An easier way which I'am sure most have done is to tap the block but I opted out of doing that.

From a logical stand point if you were to go external and just run the mid plate with out blocking the inlet at the timing cover you would have a void and a good chance of having an internal air pocket going directly to the oil pump. By blocking this the pump primes instantly and avoids the possibility of air being introduced into the oiling system.

There have been reports of some loosing their motors by having this cavity and not blocking at the cover.
JTSLLC1
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 12:19pm
I run a single external line to the block and plugged the stock pickup port with just a pipe plug & sealant, but did not plug the gallery in the block. Never have an issue priming. If it had any air in it, eventually it would just fill with oil as the pump suction will create a vacuum in the gallery and fill it. If it did maintain a bit of air, it would act like a suction accumulator and smooth out the suction pulses from the pump.

The Motorcraft FL-1A (Fram PH8A) shown is about the same size as the stock PH11 ... but has a 3/4"-16 thread vs. stock 13/16"-16 thread.   You can fit the later Jeep filter adapter to get a 3/4"-16 thread to suit the Ford filter.

Mopar Part 53007563AB OIL FILTER CONNECTOR

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51007_0011.htm

Hope this helps,RD

Edited by Red Devil - Oct/22/2015 at 12:45pm
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 12:46pm
I just would rather be safe then sorry some times when you change one thing you change everything..... Jeff Lee wish he would have blocked his timing cover.... Cha Ching.....Ouch Now he blocks itThumbs Up

The filter was a very simple modification.... Grind or lathe the stock one down to the proper dia. and chase it with a die......
JTSLLC1
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 8:31pm

I don't know why Jeff saw the need to block both ends when AMC Trans Am cars didn't with their Aviad pans. The way they fed the pump via external line was drilling from the block's locating dowel hole (located just behind the oil pump) through to the original pickup galley and thread for an AN fitting. They simply plugged the original pickup boss.

Note the hole in the upper right hand corner of the block:

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Oct/22/2015 at 8:39pm
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2015 at 8:31pm
Question slightly off topic.
I am assuming you are using an AN12 line from the pan to the pump.
Do you have any concerns with the ID of the fittings.
A stock pickup tube ID is over 14mm the AN 12 fittings I have are 12 mm ID.
Just concerned about flow through the fitting.
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2015 at 2:13am
Jeff has a long email on his new modifications... I'am sure he would be more then happy to share them with you.....I think his biggest issue is the hang time with his wheel stands.

I have heard and read allot of oil modifications on the oiling system. I acted on what I felt  was sufficient for the 6500 RPM range.... I was pleased to see a dramatic improvement ... Or any oil pressure at all after the oil pickup failure LOL!!!

Here was my common sense approach for my level of performance just like Jeff had to come up with his own for his level of performance.  

1) Motorcraft Oil Filter...No orange

2) Armando Oil pan so I can run the external oil line. I love the ground clearance, 8 quart capacity, trap doors and the location of the external fitting. What I did not like was cutting my cross member to clear the pan. 

3)  Running a mid plate to reduce the amount of bends from the pan to the oil pump. I did not like the idea of running to the corner hole of the block because it adds bends.....

4) IMO I see no reason to have an empty cavity in the block going to the oil pump so I inserted the cover. Now the cavity line is blocked at both ends eliminating the possibility of filling and draining.

IMO the problem is there is not enough wall stock in the threaded area and that is why the pickups crack by the block. 

To answer the question about the 12AN fitting that was the largest fitting offered by Armondo
JTSLLC1
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2015 at 5:42am
The problem with the way you did the single line is that milodon sandwich plate only feeds the end of the oil pump gear..If your gonna run a single line and use an adapter then you should use a bulltear plate.
I would never personally run the milodon plate and 1 line only..using the boss in the block gets the oil to the center side of the pump gears..
The hole that needs plugged is the pressure (top) hole in the front of the block when you bring oil in the oil pressure sender hole(which your not doing)instead of back through the timing cover...If you follow the path of oil on the pressure side after the filter using a remote filter and introducing oil to the side of the block rather than back through the cover will eliminate several sharp 90 degree turns the oil has to make.
I would toss the milodon plate unless your running dual lines..
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2015 at 5:48am
Additionally you cannot feed the pressure side oil into the side of the block with a milodon plate as you can see..it blocks the hole. You need Bulltears plate that allows for a dual or single line and lets you use the side of the block instead of the sharp 90s in the timing cover. I can provide you plenty of pictures of what I have done if your interested.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic