TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil Pan removal 1962 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pan removal 1962 Rambler
    Posted: Aug/19/2017 at 12:37pm
1962 Rambler Cross country wagon 196.5 cast iron motor. Just replaced the timing chain as I had a lower end rattle on a car that was gifted to me. Chain was loose but not the issue. 

Feeling the motor when running can feel that the crank/rods are hitting the oil pan in one spot. Same spot has a large indent like someone tried to jack the car up using the oil pan or it slipped off the cross brace. 

My question is can the oil pan in this year be removed without taking the engine out. Any instructions would be helpful. 
PolarBear View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2017 at 11:25pm
Got it figured out. Took cross brace off and can drop pan straight down. 

59SeattleSuperSix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59SeattleSuperSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 3:23pm
hey polar did you need to support the engine or does the tranny and rear mount hold it up alright?
PolarBear View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 8:16pm
No, never thought about it. Guess it was good it did not fall on my head. Motor mounts hold that mart up. 

I tried and tried to get it out. I found I had to take the cross member out. 
The good thing was it made re install much easier to line up. I did have some issues with the new front seal allowing me to seat up forward enough to line up the holes. 

This winter I had a vapor leak, lead to vacuum intake from motor. Which lead us to checking compression and found one cylinder at 50 % pressure. Thought we would replace ring, end just going deeper and deeper. ended up redoing heads and new rings on one piston.  One repair always leads to another. 

But in the end runs smooth. 
Polarbear
59SeattleSuperSix View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59SeattleSuperSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 8:53pm
the motor mounts aren't on the crossmember for yours? 

new seals on the oil pan made it tough? yeah I'm just gonna permatex mine honestly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic