TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil filter for 61 American ohv 6 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2020 at 6:46am
You really need a TSM!! As stated though, you might just want to get the 1961 American owners manual. It has all the maintenance info you need, including torquing the head (IIRC... ). It's the most complete owners manual I've seen! They took most of the maintenance stuff out of later manuals, just basic stuff like they have in current manuals. You can do almost anything maintenance wise with just the 61 owner's manual, but a TSM is required for a lot of more intensive repairs and info -- it would be the best purchase you can make for the car, and under $50!!
Frank Swygert
Greggo’61 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggo’61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2020 at 9:25am
Thanks again for the help, last weekend we followed your advice, it did t need much adjusting but one was significant ( I think it was the noisy one). Changed fuel filter (should have done that on day 1) and oil.  Car runs MUCH better, but when under load it still sporadically shifts down ( like it should) but then upshifts immediately, as if I’m rapidly pressing the throttle but I’m not.  I was thinking either something with tranny or maybe still a fuel issue ( car had been sitting for long time prior to buying it and I’ve only added gas never drained old.  Any thoughts? 
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2020 at 11:12am
So, if you have the automatic, the downshift solenoid may be a bit suspect. On your cast iron Borg Warner, it's a rather good size 'can' screwed into the back of the tranny. There's an adjustable rod inside. Again, you need a Technical Service Manual if you don't have one.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Greggo’61 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggo’61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2020 at 4:11pm
Ok, I will check that.  I did get a TSM Btw, and you’re right, best investment so far.  To describe the issue a little better; I live on the bottom of a hill ( all hills around here ) and the car takes off nice in L, stays in low gear (as it should I’m assuming). If I take off in drive it’s sluggish, barely  pulls the hill.  On flats, shifts great and has the power I’d expect from it.  Once in awhile, it will stay downshifted climbing a light grade, and everything seems normal, but any decent grade it’s sluggish OR downshifts but then goes back and forth (up and down up and down). It’s as if “shorting out”.... 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2020 at 6:33am
The way the transmissions were made back then is the issue. You have two drive positions. There should be a little 1 and 2 a little above and to the left and right of the D on the shift quadrant. The autos back then were designed to take off in 2nd gear, not first. That would be the first drive position -- right after neutral -- which is "D2". Pull it down one more click to "D1" and it will start in first gear -- the position right above Low. The torque converter's torque multiplication helped it start moving when taking off in second -- you just weren't going to take off really quick... which also hurts fuel economy anyway. Today we know that slipping the converter that much usually has a detrimental affect on fuel economy, at least in city driving. Probably did then too, but that was the popular thinking (start in second) back then!  Probably a hold-over from the earlier days when cars had low compression engines and lots of low end torque... which was still relatively true in the late 40s/early 50s when these transmissions were engineered -- by people who learned to drive in pre-war cars...

The reasoning was to get it up into high gear as soon as possible for better economy. So you use D2 for driving with a light load in relatively flat areas, D1 for hilly terrain and/or heavier loads. No need to manually shift it, otherwise you wouldn't have bought an automatic transmission, right? Low (first gear only) was provided for those few instances when you didn't want it to shift, such as being stuck in sand/mud/snow. 

The trans is programmed with a safety, so if you shift from D1 to L it won't down-shift all the way over a certain speed (about 30-35, IIRC... may be lower). So the strategy to shift manually through all three gears (drag racers!) is to start in D1 then pull it back into L right after the 1-2 shift. You will be going to fast for the trans to shift back down to first so it will hold second until you shift back into D1. I never found a reason to do that, and it doesn't improve time much with a stock engine. I tried it with a stop watch just to see the results many years ago. Not worth shaving a few tenths of a second off for anything but drag racing, and it took some practice to learn exactly when to shift (need a tach!) to even do that.

Edited by farna - Jul/20/2020 at 6:37am
Frank Swygert
Greggo’61 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggo’61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2020 at 5:40pm
Thank you for the information, I really appreciate all the help, I have very little mechanical background and absolutely no prior amc knowledge, so this is very much appreciated.  So I would say that this is probably “ normal” behavior since I’m battling a steep hill just about every corner!  I need to change the brake light pressure switch ( I jumped the 2 wires and found brake lights so I’m assuming switch under brake reservoir is bad). Once I have brake lights I won’t feel guilty about driving it on the road further, and I’ll get it out for a longer ride down where there a flat roads to get a better feel for everything. I’ll let you know how that goes, meanwhile, thanks again.  Seems like you’re a bevy of knowledge!! Take care!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2020 at 6:32am
You can get the brake light switch locally, but do yourself a favor and order one from Ron Francis Wiring. Every one I've purchased form other sources haven't held up to daily driving. They would last about six months -- which could be 6-10 years in a car that's just driven occasionally. I wired in a mechanical switch to the brake pedal and haven't had an issue since 2003. The Ron Francis sourced pressure switch is what hot rodders swear by (not at!) and will last considerably longer. The good thing is the switch can be replaced without having to bleed the system or lose any brake fluid.

If you go with a local source carry a spare and check the brake lights on occasion -- every day if on a long trip. You don't know if they are out if you don't check, unless a friendly passer by/driver notices and informs you. I was informed by an irate cop, who noticed from 2-3 blocks away the I "didn't even slow down" for two stop signs in a small neighborhood. While I admit to "California" stops (he was far enough back I didn't notice it was a cop, and I wasn't doing anything wrong anyway) now, I didn't say much to him. I started to, but before I got a word out he said "you know I could take you in fro reckless driving", so I decided my best answers would be yes or no sir!! Went to court and got out of most of it, but they still gave me a ticket for an "incomplete stop" at one.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2020 at 11:23pm
I'll second that Ron Francis switch. The NAPA Echlin part (some years ago) was so crappy I carried a spare in the glovebox. I took one apart to see the failure. A thin rubber sheet was the only seal.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Greggo’61 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggo’61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2020 at 7:20pm
I’d like to wire in a mechanical switch to the pedal, im just not that creative enough to make it fit properly, so I’m still working on that issue, however, all the wrenching on the old pressure switch must have “jarred” something because low and behold the brake lights work now! There’s quite a delay tho, brakes seem hard, I need to bleed and replace fluid. On a side note, another question.... do you guys use a lead additive or just regular gas?  I have access to no ethanol gas nearby ( I use this on my ATV and the difference is night and day.... thanks again! 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2020 at 9:55pm
Could be just crappy electrical connections to the switch. They're press-on types, can't recall if round or flat. If they're loose, that's probably it.

That engine is fine with any gas you'll likely to be able to buy. Not to start a religious war, but the engine doesn't care about ethanol in the ratios they use. When there's an issue it's with old rubber in the system, hoses and fuel pump. The solution is to replace old stiff or cracked hoses *anyway*, and simply get ethanol-proof hose, whether you use ethanol gas or not.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic