TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil Cap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 4:57pm
Stoddard solvent, rubbing alcohol, electric parts cleaner in an aerosol can, Simple Green and hot water, Dawn dish soap and hot water, there's lots of common household cleaners that will get rid of the majority of the grime. The foam filter will never look like new though even after cleaning, the stains won't come out.

Armand.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
360MDJav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360MDJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 6:21pm
Here's a pic of the new Stant caps, part number 10084. I got a chuckle when I pulled
the filter out of this one. Looks like a 3 year old trimmed it out of a bigger piece.

1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by dltowers dltowers wrote:

Matt, no damage to plastic part of cap using carburetor cleaner? Just soak and then use high pressure air to blow it out?
No damage. I just spray the carb cleaner into it and set it upside-down on the bench to soak for a while then flush it out with more carb cleaner and allow to air dry. Shop air pressure may damage it.

I also like to wet the filter with some oil just to help it filter out dirt even better. Any dirt that gets past that filter gets into the engine. It's a pet peeve of mine to see breathers plugged up. They're supposed to be cleaned every oil change.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 8:39pm
Dickie, many suggestions have been made. I would not use carburetor cleaner as it is similar if not equal to acetone which is pretty raspy. There is a product some times found called Spray Nine which is pretty good at removing a lot of grime with out damaging things. I buy it by the gallon and it is universaly used around the house. Harbor freight has a heavy duty part cleaner that is about $25.00 a gallon but it is a friendly product that is incredible as to what it cleans up and yes it will too remove paint but it is water soluble and is environmentally friendly. I just used it to clean the inside and outside of an oil pan off of an engine I am assembling. Expensive yes, but incredibly efficient. I would use either of these products to clean the part you want to clean. Plastic is safe with it, well either of them, and you can flush things down a drain.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
360MDJav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360MDJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 8:57pm
It's easier to just replace the filter material. You can purchase it at any auto parts store, no harsh chemicals and no dirt and deteriorating filter material falling into the intake.
1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2015 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by 360MDJav 360MDJav wrote:

It's easier to just replace the filter material. You can purchase it at any auto parts store, no harsh chemicals and no dirt and deteriorating filter material falling into the intake.

I agree, why try and clean something that is so cheap to replace? No chance of contaminants or breaking down old materials ruining a good motor :)
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2015 at 1:29am
"Good As New After 40 Years"....
I was able to clean the media filament material inside the oil cap by using a military grade product called, "Grez Ez".   Sprayed the material, let it soak about 30 minutes, wash and rinse with hot water, and the material looks very good with no remaining oil residue:

Edited by dltowers - Feb/04/2015 at 1:32am
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic