TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil and dizzy gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2015 at 7:18pm
Do you all think the dizzy has enough oil to it r should i add a line 
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2015 at 8:47pm
plug the slots in the front of the gear.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
pipefactory View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2015 at 6:12pm
Just got an email back from Romac

According to Rollmaster they had a lot of requests to change it. Now they say they get as many asking why the change. The performance is the same with the slots and the oil goes directly back to the oil pan.

Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 8:00am
Please tell me you told them to change it back...

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by sasyamx sasyamx wrote:

Do you all think the dizzy has enough oil to it r should i add a line 
If the oil passages to the dizzy is correct, you don't need extra oil to it.  The extra oil line that some add to get oil to the dizzy gear is a band aid to make up for poor quality timing gears. 
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by pipefactory pipefactory wrote:

Just got an email back from Romac

According to Rollmaster they had a lot of requests to change it. Now they say they get as many asking why the change. The performance is the same with the slots and the oil goes directly back to the oil pan.

Do you know what month and year they changed the design?
ScrambledEgg
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 10:19am
If it has 4 slots , it's the new one like i got , you can see in my vids about how much oil comes out , it's just a good drip , i was told they did it to lube the chain and for drain back , the gear does get oil but not a lot .
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 12:34pm
Gonna throw my two cents in here.

Here are pics and videos of the front oiling I did when looking for my low pressure problem.

Rollmaster timing gear installed out of the box. You can see the four oiling grooves, including one that intersects the passage that goes to the distributor drive (unwise in my opinion).

Photo:

In the video you'll see the oil pump isn't being run very fast but there's a lot of oil coming out the intersected passage in the timing gear on the driver's side as well as running down the face of the timing gear itself. The distributor gear is getting some but the majority of it is being shot out the timing gear intersection.

The orientation of the cam is such that the front cam journal oil feed is very close to the feed from it's bearing.

Video:
http://home.comcast.net/~amcer/Oil_Vids/Test_Rollmaster.avi

The Rollmaster gear was then modified to look like a Cloyes.

Photo:

In the video you'll see the cam journal oil feed is close to the bearing oil feed then I change it away from it. The oil is at room temperature but when it's thinned out with heat it will flow more like when the oil feed is lined up. There is an ample amount flowing from the two grooves in the cam gear and at the distributor drive gear.

Video:
http://home.comcast.net/~amcer/Oil_Vids/Test_RollmasterModified_NewerEccentric.avi

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - May/25/2015 at 1:47pm
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 1:22pm
Sassy and Rebel - cant get either of your video's to play....

either marked 'private' of 'unavailable'.
ScrambledEgg
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by ScrambledEgg ScrambledEgg wrote:

Sassy and Rebel - cant get either of your video's to play....

either marked 'private' of 'unavailable'.

Links fixed.

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic