TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ofenhouser manifold your experiences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambling On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ofenhouser manifold your experiences
    Posted: Jan/26/2015 at 10:13pm
i am tossing up weather to keep the 232 6 cyl in my american or going v8 .. 

i havnt heard much about people using this manifold .. is running the 465 holley going to be to big for a stock engine . . if so what cam package would you use to give the 232 a bit of a lumpy idle . dont want to go to wild .  . to fit the manifold & carby is going to cost me aprox $800 aus . & then cam package another  $300 or so . . so i am just researching at moment on how they perform . ect . ......  i like the thought of a polished ofenhouser manifold sitting an my 232 it would surley finish it off . 

thanks Garry
1965 Rambler American 440h coup LHD
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2015 at 3:19am
The engine can use a carburetor up to about 400 CFM with out any problem, I have used the Carter (or today's version the Edelbrock Performer) AFB successfully a couple of times in engines that size and am currently building a '3 vintage 232 using that carburetor. I happen to have a Offenhauser manifold I am using too, a dual port design. The theory behind a dual port design is there is two passages per runner, one is for the primaries and the other for the secondaries and the primary is smaller thus keeping the air velocity up which helps keep the fuel in suspension as it moves through the manifold making driving on the primaries more efficient. A "Wet" manifold such as this one is and important when using a carburetor or even a "throttle body" fuel injection system vs a port injection system, keeping the fuel in suspension makes for better mixture into the cylinder, so the theory goes. The other side of the story is simply higher rpm is some what limited because the total runner size is smaller than one that simply is a single big runner back to the Carburetor.
Now how much merit is there to the theory is open for question and I would not worry about it as the manifold works well on small I-6 engines. It happens to be the one I came across used at a swap meet and it lets me put a 4bbl carburetor on the engine so I am going to use it.
As to cam shafts? I personally am a fan of Iskenderian cams and have used the following: The 256 supercam with .450 lift and 256 degrees of duration and the Z50E4 Super cam with Lift and also 256 degrees of duration with engines that size and were quite satisfied with the overall performance. Although for this engine I am going to order the HL/HYD   with Lift and   degree duration, a grind I have used with V8 engines and have been quite happy with the results. When I order the cam I generally will order a set of lifters to e shipped with the cam so I have components from the same vendor. The important thing to keep in mind unless you are willing to go through the agravation (if that is the proper term) of dealing with changing valve train components and makeing sure you get things working correctly, keeping the lift at the valve under .500 inches will let these cams and others work with the OEM valve train components with out any problems.And work reliably. Comp cams I have heard require the use of heavier duty valve springs,and that starts to get into cam shaft wear problems. Or could. But even they should not be a problem if the lift is under .500 inches.
As to your costs? They can run as high as you have indicated, but with careful shopping it can also be considerably less. How well do they run?
The make the I-6 run as if it was a small v8, they tune well with what ever carburetor I have chosen to use with the 256 Super cam and other modifications and using the OEM BBD 2bbl I could tune the car to pass local smog tests. But that was a feature that satisfied me. I have used the 256 Super cam with a MULTI-Port fuel injection system on a 258 and have driven it almost 50,000 miles at the present.
Good luck and have fun and one thing for sure,an in line 6 dressed up for a night on the town always draws a lot of attention at local cruise nights.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2015 at 6:57am
Which Offenhauser intake are you talking about, the open plenum, or Dual-port ?
I used the Dual-port Offy on a close to stock 232, ( headers, milled head, port-matched) 390 Holley, od transmission, with 3.56 rear. Good low rpm power, good mileage. I tried a Holley 465 for a while, but the 390 gave better overall response.

I've used the open plenum Holley with a Holley 600 double pumper, on a very tuned 4.0, 5 speed combination, It ran well as long as you handled the throttle with thought.   But I've went back to the Dual-port with a 465 Holley, will try the Holley 600 again later this year with the Offy DP intake.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Rambling On View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambling On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2015 at 7:31am
i am looking at the duel port . stock engine except for the hei dissy .  3.31 diff gears . with the 390 holley what jets & power valve did you use . 

Edited by Rambling On - Jan/27/2015 at 7:55am
1965 Rambler American 440h coup LHD
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2015 at 8:27pm
I initially used the carb as it came in the box, but that was in 1973, yes, they made the 390 Holley even then.

After some time I up jetted, and blew the power valve at least once, and replaced it with another size, but it's too long ago to remember the exact jet size, or power valve I went to

For a 258, a 465cfm Holley might be a better match.
I highly recommend port matching on any AMC 6 cylinder. I've seen mismatches at the head to intake ports of over 1/4 inch, and the wrong way, on some AMCs.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jan/27/2015 at 9:56pm
firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2015 at 12:25pm
I don't think the 465 will open...a 390 will be iffy with stock.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2015 at 1:44pm
The 465 would open on my basically stock 232, so the 26 extra cubic inches of a 258 should be able to use it a little better.

I went back to the 390 Holley on the 232 because I was using the car daily, and this was during the middle 70's, during the gas shortages, every little bit of extra mileage I could squeeze out of the car was my main concern.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2015 at 5:56pm
R O , that is a beautiful engine compartment!!!
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2015 at 7:03pm
I put a Offy Dual Port and a set of Clifford headers on my wife's 78 Concord with a 258 4 speed back in 1980.  I used a 390 CFM Carter AFB on it.  She drove the car winter and summer for 10 years with no major problems at all.  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2015 at 10:19am
The smaller venturii of the 390 will give better throttle response with any intake, the DP is even better. I've run a 390 on a 258 and it could have used a bit bigger carb. I don't think the 465 is too big, especially with a better cam (I ran stock).

As far as a "lumpy" cam goes, you won't like it. Those are short duration cams really made for high rpm performance. They don't drive well or get good gas mileage in a normally driven street engine. All you get is sound and poor low speed performance. That's why you really need a 2500-3000 stall converter to run one on the street.

Turn the idle down to about 500-600 rpm and the six will stumble along, giving you a lumpy idle -- after it warms up anyway. It will probably stall when cold, but that's just for the first 10-15 minutes after starting. A manual choke will fix that in warmer weather. I don't think you can adjust an auto choke enough to work well in cold and warm weather, not without adjusting it a bit for seasons anyway. Leave it adjusted for cold weather and it will likely stay closed too long in warm weather (with the low idle).

The Isky 256 Supercam is a great street performance cam. I wouldn't go more than the HL. Comp makes a cam similar to the 256 Supercam (I think it's a 260 duration instead of 256). I wouldn't use any of the Xtreme Comp cams -- lift is too high for stock springs and the Comp springs are way to stiff for today's oil.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic