TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

odd intake manifold gasket help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: odd intake manifold gasket help please
    Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 9:04am
Manifold in question is a 1974 factory 2 BL cast iron piece

Under the heat shield, only visible after the shield is removed, there is a metal plate held with 4 1/2 inch hollow bolts...This plate is about 2 and 1/2 inches by 4 inches, and there is a gasket between the plate and the manifold...I need one of the gaskets, but in all the years I have been involved with AMC Products I have never seen this gasket mentioned or included in any replacement set...Im not even sure what to call it...Can someone with knowledge of this help me locate one?   Thankyou    Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 9:21am
Bob,

That gasket was never a Service Part.....the plate was never made to be taken off.  I took one off a while back trying to fix vacuum leak on a EGR equipped 2V intake.  What I found was the plate was warped big time and the gasket was almost all gone.  I ground the plate flat on my Surface Grinder and installed it back with some high temp RTV.

If you need it ground just send it to me and I take care of it and send it back.

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 8:06am
Thanks Ross...I took it off so that when I have the manifold tanked it would be cleaned better in that area....I have a lot of flakey rust in this manifold and its not from the water jacket areas...they are like new...The plate looks fine and the original old gasket is still stuck to the plate and is in one piece, I think with some good sealer.....got a specific brand/type to recommend???, it will be fine....I'm now having trouble getting the two 9/16 plugs from the back under the egr valve out so it can get cleaned better in there...Leonard has a socket allen that size but has not shown up with it yet...This is all for that D/L Coupe...Im trying to get everything prepped ahead of time so that when I remove all of that after market edelbrock manifold, carb, valve covers, etc and put all of the NOS smog tubes and stuff back like it was new...
Thankyou....Bob
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 8:32am
Bob, I think the high temp RTV that Ross is recommending is this stuff (or something like it).

The TDS indicates it can withstand 600 degrees continuous and I doubt that your gasket surface would exceed that.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 10:47am
Thanks Roger...I will check tomorrow and find a tube of it...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 12:55pm
Bob, My intake had a lots of rust in the water jackets too. Soaked it in hardware store vinegar (10%) for two days and came out nice. Also did the valve covers. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic