TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mexican Engine Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 2:54pm
Mitchito, I'm sorry I couldn't help you with the gasket issue, I didn't know the information you asked about.

Question for everyone.

Can you see the pictures I posted links of in my last posts?

I just clicked some of them and there is a message from Photobucket with nothing to show. If you can't see pictures out the links those guys at Photobucket are out of their minds. I'll definitely be closing that account, since now it is practically worthless.

Thanks Frank for suggesting the alternatives for uploading pictures with remote linking.
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 3:38pm
http://pic.photobucket.com/incorrect_link.gif
I cannot see them. Got the above message when I clicked on the links.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2017 at 9:43pm
See pages 1, 2, and 5 for old and new pictures as well as updated descriptions.

More 1977-1982 head design pictures:

1973-1986 Intake Valve:

1973-1986 exhaust valve:

Mauricio Jordán

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 1:10am
This is awesome.

I am glad Mexico had the right conditions to build performance sixes. They were getting the same power out of these sixes that the Americans were with the 304 and 360 V8s! The American answer for performance has always been to add on more cylinders, and that means a V8. Sixes have always struggled to be seen as a performance engine in the United States.

Ultimately the 4.0L became the American performance AMC six. It basically accomplished in the United States what VAM had done for years in Mexico. Combine a 4.0L block and with a 258 crank and you basically end up with displacement and performance comparable to the VAM 282.  
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
SIXPAK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SIXPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 9:18am
I've read through this entire thread and could not find the info I was hoping to find. Im wondering if the length of the bore in a 282 VAM block extends deeper toward the crank than a regular 4.0 block.  Does anyone know this for fact or not? Thanks in advance and btw, awesome read!
Sand is for Racing Asphalt is for getting there!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2017 at 9:29am
No, it doesn't. It's pretty much a standard AMC six casting except for the larger bore.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 4:10pm
SIXPAK, all VAM engines had the same stroke as AMC sixes, the bore was the one that was different. The 252 has the 232 stroke while the 282 has the 258 one.

I have some news here, some of them related to the pictures of page 5 and this one.

I might have the chance of documenting four VAM heads in the following weeks.

1.-

I will be taking my 1977-1982 VAM regular production 282 head to a shop to have the valves removed so I can take pictures of the intake ports and compare them to ones the 1984-1986 Jeep head.

2.-

Also, a friend of mine needs to do routine maintenance to the head on his car, which is a 1982-1983 car line 282 head with the smaller 5/8 sparkplugs, internally-rounded out intake ports and the metal valve cover.

This is a chance to finally confirm if this head is the same as the 1984-1986 Jeep unit, to finally know for sure if the only difference is the plastic valve cover in newer version.

Unfortunately, he's in another city and I won't be able to be there when that happens. I just hope he doesn't let me down, which has happened more than once.

3.-

I will have a chance to take more pictures of the 252/1971-1972 282 head with rocker shaft and small valves.

The owner of the 1971 Javelin, in part due to my recommendations, ended up buying a 1977-early 1982 head with quench-type combustion chambers, large valves and independent rockers for his car.

He will keep his original head as a spare and is looking for an industrial chrome shop to rebuild the rocker shaft to keep it in working condition.

This means that the original head now assembled in the engine will inevitably go down, thus opening up a chance to document not just the combustion chambers but the internal part of the intake ports and make a comparison with the ones in the 1977-1986 heads.

4.-

A friend of mine owns a 1974 Classic DPL (Matador sedan) that has been sitting in a repair shop for some time, I was told they will restart work on the car in the following weeks/months. Part of the aspects to work on the car is the engine.

This is a very important opportunity, because this car has what I call the "third generation" 282.

The "first generation" is the 1971-1972 with 9.5:1 compression ratio, rocker shaft and small valves.
The only difference between one year and the other is that the 1971 version still has the starter on the intakes' side of the engine while the 1972 version's is on the distributor's side.

The "second generation" is the 1973 282, keeping the 9.5:1 compression ratio BUT changing to independent rockers and large valves.

The "third generation" is the 1974 282, changing to 8.5:1 compression ratio, keeping the indendent rocks and large valves. It also kept the same points distributor and Carter ABD carburetor as all 1971-1973 282s.

As far as my knowledge goes, the only difference between this engine and the 1973 version would be thecompression ratio, which happned due to the 1971-1973 flat pistons being replaced in favor of dished units. As far as I know the rest is the same: head, head gasket, head height, etc.

This time I will be able to document the 1974 head, which might be the same as the 1973 head. I'll try to fully take pictures of the whole head: combustion chambers, ports. I just hope they don't keep on delaying/postponing the repair of the car.

These are the updates that will be coming soon.

Edited by Rambler Mexicano - Dec/26/2017 at 4:13pm
Mauricio Jordán

SIXPAK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SIXPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Rambler Mexicano Rambler Mexicano wrote:

SIXPAK, all VAM engines had the same stroke as AMC sixes, the bore was the one that was different. The 252 has the 232 stroke while the 282 has the 258 one.

Thanks. Im completely aware of the bores and strokes but it was rumored that the length of bore may be a little different than a 4.0 block. Thats why I was asking. ;) 
Sand is for Racing Asphalt is for getting there!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2017 at 7:25am
If you get the "Ooops!"message from Photobucket you can install a work-around if you are using Firefox or Chrome. Microsoft browsers don't allow third party add-ons/plug-ins, so no fix for those. There is a fix for Safari and Anroid devices as well. Just search "photobucket fix".
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 2:36pm
Everyone saw the pictures of my original 1981 282 head.

Now I was finally able to to take down the head in my car and take an extensive high quality photo session with my professional camera due to the faded out lens on my cell phone.

This head is a 1984-1986 design used in VAM Jeeps. It is virtually the same as the 1982-1983 heads, the only diference being the valve cover, metal in the 1982-1983 head and plastic in the 1984-1986 one.

Valve size and spark plug size are the same.

This one seems to be the same as the one I posted last year in this topic.

Full view of all ports, intake and exhaust.

Intake ports, cylinders 1 and 2.

Intake port, cylinder 3.

Intake port, cylinder 4.

Intake ports, cylinders 5 and 6.

Exhaust port, cylinder 1.

Exhaust port, cylinder 2.

Exhausts ports, cylinders 3 and 4.

Exhaust port, cylinder 5.

Exhaust port, cylinder 6.

Top of the head: valve ends and springs, rocker mounts, ports still visible.

Top of the head again, ports no longer visible. The seven internal bolt hollows and pushrod hollows more visible.

Water connection hollow.

Water connection hollow, with flash.

Bottom side, all six combustion chambers with the valves in place.

Combustion chambers, cylinders 1 and 2.

Combustion chambers, cylinders 3 and 4.

Combustion chambers, cylinders 5 and 6.

Combustion chambers, cylinders 1, 2, and 3.

Combustion chambers, cylinders 4, 5, and 6. 
Mauricio Jordán

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic