TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Occasional loud clunk and stop when cranking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Occasional loud clunk and stop when cranking
    Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 2:34pm
Got an odd issue on a freshly built 360/727 in a '71 Javelin. Changes from stock that could affect it include a powermaster xs starter, msd ignition, 11 in 2400 stall TCI converter.

Occasionally when cranking over it almost seems like it catches something and stops. Usually only when it's cold. It will crank again fine after but it is concerning. My first guess would be something with the aftermarket starter. I roughly measured the engagement of the starter pinion and it looked good, the ring gear teeth look fine as of right now.

On an unrelated note, it's a female canine to start hot and not a big fan of the cold (I have an airgap intake though). I haven't touched the timing since I broke it in and I think it's got a bit too much advance in it. Need to dial in the pilot screws as well and that should help.

Lastly, are these saginaw power steering pumps made to leak? Cause oddly mine came with a dipstick on top but it seems like the engineers designed the fluid level to be checked by leaks.

I'm on my second remanufactured one, first one's body was crooked over the mounting stud hole and leaked pretty good. I transferred everything over to my "new" one, seemed dry at first and I began to celebrate by bleeding the system. Then I see a nice little puddle from the steering box, pump still dry so I still content. Next day I look under the pump and see a nice little dribble.

You guys using sealant on the mounting studs? I'm hesitant to. The high pressure fitting seems dry and it's the flared seal kind not o ring. I'm just sick of leaving power steering puddles wherever I go.

Edited by Moffman - Oct/26/2017 at 8:30am
limachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote limachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 5:22pm
First the power steering pump. Whenever I swap reservoirs, I use ultra grey on the o-rings and around the studs. Anything that can possibly leak gets sealer. Just a little, you don't want too much so it causes other problems. If the pump is leaking from the shaft then the rebuild is no good. A leak from a fitting is usually the o ring. Make sure you coat that o ring with a drip of power steering fluid. Flared types will leak if the seat is worn.
I'm not a fan of the power master starters. I've put in a lot of hi torque starters, recently used a few Msd starters on some Fords. They seem to work well. I stopped using pm after installing one for a friend which wiped out a flywheel on a 66 vette. Pulled my hair out checking myself on everything then called tech. Turns out a batch of solenoids were no good, it would drop in and out while cranking, throwing the starter drive at random. They sent me an update kit which was a solenoid and shim pack. Big deal. I still had to drop the flywheel.
I'd say pull your inspection cover down and make sure none of your converter bolts are hitting. Take a good look, turn the engine by hand, pull the plugs if needed. Don't run it like that.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 7:09pm
The "something" it catches on is likely an early ignition
sending a piston back down while climbing.

In other words, too much ignition lead at start.
Gremlin Dreams
xfactor View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 10:09pm
I just had that happen to my power master starter  .Turns out the two allen head locking bolt for clocking the starter were lose

Ray Harper 69 AMX 401
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 8:28am
Originally posted by limachine limachine wrote:

First the power steering pump...

The pump seemed dry at first but it looks like a mild leak developed from one of the mounting studs. I hate using RTV when not needed but it looks like a little on the threads wouldn't hurt. The inspection cover is off and it's not an issue of the converter bolts or anything. That was my main fear.

Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

The "something"...

It definitely has symptoms of too much advance but I would think that would make it harder to crank but not completely stop it, no?

Originally posted by xfactor xfactor wrote:

I just had that happen to my power master starter...

You know what, I had to re-clock it to clear the oil pan. The only thing I had to tighten it at the time was that little allen wrench they gave you. I bet that's probably it.

Thanks all

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 11:21am
Having learned the old hard way about too much advance
I have run into the "sudden stop" a few times.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic