TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OBD Bluetooth Adapter w/ Torque Pro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBD Bluetooth Adapter w/ Torque Pro
    Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 9:32pm
I'm getting ready for the 1,800 mile tow to Rockford and was wanting a transmission temperature gauge for my 2008 Chrysler Aspen.  I got to wondering if this information was available at the OBD port under the dash, since about every car since the late '90s has one.

Low and behold, this was easier than I ever imagined.  First, I got this OBD Bluetooth (Chinese made) adapter from Walmart.com for $12.27, which includes free shipping, a pretty decent cell phone mounting bracket and a carrying bag!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EEEKit-for-Car-ELM327-v1-5-Bluetooth-Interface-OBD2-Car-Scanner-Adapter-TORQUE-ANDROID-Suction-Mount/152555021?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=503&adid=22222222227040643797&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=99651167074&wl4=pla-235732087474&wl5=9030335&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111840109&wl11=online&wl12=152555021&wl13=&veh=sem

I did some research and found that an excellent app called Torque Pro is available that will read out just about anything that is available from the OBD port and will display it via Bluetooth on your Android smart phone as a meter, graph, digital readout or just about any format you could want.  And it's only $4.95!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Amazingly, it all worked pretty much out-of-the-box!!!  I plugged it in an instantly got things like rpm, coolant temp and other measurements that show by default. I had to change the settings from the default metric measurements and initially couldn't get the transmission temperature to display properly, but I then found a Chrysler folder hidden in the menus, one of which had the code I needed for my vehicle! 

So for less than $18 and about an hour of messing with the settings, I have a real-time digital readout of my transmission temps.  I could monitor everything from engine oil temp, intake manifold temps, engine fault codes etc. if I wanted to, but I don't really want any of that at this time.

Isn't it amazing what technology can do?  I didn't have to tap into the transmission cooler line, and drank a beer rather than bending over a hot engine bay!

Edited by CamJam - Jul/14/2016 at 10:47am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 11:40pm
That's pretty cool! Does it run as a stand alone or does it run off data? Just keep the Aspen in tow mode and she will be fine.  

I took my truck in for a transmission service on Monday as it was still the original fluid and had acted a little funny earlier this month while towing my travel trailer. I figure I was lucky as apparently the filter had dropped out of position and was just sitting in the pan! Fluid looked like new which is good considering 130,000 km with a lot of towing the enclosed car trailer and travel trailer. 150 bucks for just the filter and 140 for the fluid, I guess the 6 speed is the expensive one...LOL
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

That's pretty cool! Does it run as a stand alone or does it run off data? Just keep the Aspen in tow mode and she will be fine.  

I took my truck in for a transmission service on Monday as it was still the original fluid and had acted a little funny earlier this month while towing my travel trailer. I figure I was lucky as apparently the filter had dropped out of position and was just sitting in the pan! Fluid looked like new which is good considering 130,000 km with a lot of towing the enclosed car trailer and travel trailer. 150 bucks for just the filter and 140 for the fluid, I guess the 6 speed is the expensive one...LOL

What are you driving?
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2016 at 12:18am
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

What are you driving?

I think Tony has an F-150.

I bought my Aspen used, and though I could see from the Car Fax report that the oil had been changed regularly, I wasn't sure about the transmission fluid.  So yesterday I took the pan off and changed the fluid and filters.  Once I got in there I could see a 2013 date code on the old filter, so I know it had been changed at least once.  It probably didn't need it, but at least now I have the peace of mind of knowing it was well maintained previously and that it has new fluid for the trip to Rockford.

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2016 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

What are you driving?
2009 F150 with the 5.4 and a 6 speed. Does a great job on the long hauls east. None of the parts places had the filter in stock so HAD to get it from the local Ford dealer along with the specific fluid. We know they charged max price because they didn't get the work but I trust my mechanic (he is the only other person to drive my AMX) and know he does good work.  

Cam, your Aspen will do great. My Grand Cherokee with the 4.7HO hauled my car to Reno on an open trailer with no problems and yours is bigger and has the bigger powertrain.

Edited by amxdreamer - Jul/14/2016 at 12:31pm
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2016 at 12:36pm
I was looking at that setup back in 2012, but it seems no Android device uses USB connectivity for CAN bus ODB tools.

So I am thinking the next tablet I get will Windows based, due to blue tooth bandwidth limitations there is some delay with 4 or more sensor readings.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2016 at 8:20pm

Cam, your Aspen will do great. My Grand Cherokee with the 4.7HO hauled my car to Reno on an open trailer with no problems and yours is bigger and has the bigger powertrain.

The vehicle I traded was a 2001 Grand Cherokee. I loved it, but it only had the 4.0 six.  I towed the AMX with it to Las Vegas (5 hours each way) and it did OK, but it was right at the limit.. really a little too much for a comfortable drive with the straight-six and a short wheelbase. The Aspen wheelbase is 13" longer and it weighs about 1,100 pounds more than the Jeep, so a lot less tail wagging the dog.  And the Hemi, of course.  A buddy of mine has a GC with the 4.7, and that really seems like a nice motor for the Jeep.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2016 at 1:21am
I used this device all the way from Arizona to Rockford and back and it worked perfectly. All you need is a smart phone with Bluetooth and a car with an OBDII port, which means most made since around 1998-2000.

It does not use any data on your cell phone plan. The phone only communicates via Bluetooth to the device plugged into the OBD port.

Quite a bargain for less than $20.

My transmission temps were around 170F most of the time. Highest I saw was 213 on a grueling climb on I-17 south of Flagstaff when the ambient temperature was about 98 degrees and the road climbs from about 4,000 feet to 7,500 over just a few miles.

Edited by CamJam - Aug/23/2016 at 1:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic