TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Novice V8 questions inside.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novice V8 questions inside.
    Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 11:21pm
Hello everyone, couple questions:

First of all, I recently installed a stock AMC intake on my 390. The number stamped on it is 3217486. However, for some reason it sits about the block about 1/8 of an inch. Any ideas as to why? The block and intake should be from the same generation as best as I've found.

Only thing I can think of is my 291c heads are causing a problem, but shouldn't those be the taller deck heads?

Second, what way does the fuel pump go on? The surface that the fuel pump mates to matches up more so when the fuel pump is 'upside down' than right side up... If that makes any sense (it doesn't, I know )

Below are some sweet pictures to show what I'm talking about.

And for the fuel pump:

Edit:

Sorry about the terrible quality of some of these pictures.  They looked a lot better on my phone Tongue

Edited by Scotty - Aug/15/2017 at 11:33pm
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 1:34am
That gap is normal and supposed to be there. Rubber end seals go there, or RTV if you prefer that.  
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

That gap is normal and supposed to be there. Rubber end seals go there, or RTV if you prefer that.  

x2.

As for the fuel pump you're holding it right-side up. The flat part of the lever faces upwards and rides on the fuel pump eccentric (which is mounted on the front of  the camshaft). You'll notice the fuel pump bolt holes aren't located in the center of the timing case opening, they're closer to the bottom of the opening. That may be more apparent by looking at the gasket.

When you install the pump the lever will have pressure on it when you line up the body with the timing case.

-Steve-

Scotty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 10:26pm
Sweet thanks guys. I got a bit worried about the fuel pump because I saw many pictures of AMC V8s with the furl pump orientation the other way. Kinda didn't make sense to me, because like Rebel Machine pointed out the bolt holes and gasket seem to force it to be that way. I just got a bit concerned cause most pictures I saw show it the other way.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 10:53pm
Scotty, those fuel pumps can sometimes be a pain to get installed. If you can rotate the engine over until the fuel pump eccentric is down and away from the pump lever it'll be easier. Use a long flathead in the port and you'll feel it rotate
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Scotty Scotty wrote:

Sweet thanks guys. I got a bit worried about the fuel pump because I saw many pictures of AMC V8s with the furl pump orientation the other way. Kinda didn't make sense to me, because like Rebel Machine pointed out the bolt holes and gasket seem to force it to be that way. I just got a bit concerned cause most pictures I saw show it the other way.

You may have seen fuel pumps that have the vacuum side to run the wipers in a non-electric wiper model.

You can depress the pump arm with your index finger and get a slight down angle when sliding the arm in to make sure the arm is under the cam eccentric.  You can feel it's right before the bolts go on.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 7:06am
If you see the crimped flange fuel pump with the outlet pointed straight up  (female inverted flare), that was a change in late 70's.  The pump you show is a crimped flange fuel pump as used from 1970 up to the change over in late 70's.  As long as it fits behind the power steering pump bracket, you are fine.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
digrazia View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digrazia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 3:50pm
This question is for Steve. I don't know how to post my question. I have a 1968 amx 290 motor. I was not getting fuel out of the fuel pump. So I replaced it with a new one. It went in easy thought I got lucky. Still no fuel. I dropped the tank changed fuel sending unit blew out vents hose and gas line. Still no gas. I pulled the new fuel pump out and found about quarter inch of the pump arm was broken off, possible still in the bottom of timing chain cover. I am stumped never saw this before and ideas or suggestion's ? thank you Paul D
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by digrazia digrazia wrote:

This question is for Steve. I don't know how to post my question. I have a 1968 amx 290 motor. I was not getting fuel out of the fuel pump. So I replaced it with a new one. It went in easy thought I got lucky. Still no fuel. I dropped the tank changed fuel sending unit blew out vents hose and gas line. Still no gas. I pulled the new fuel pump out and found about quarter inch of the pump arm was broken off, possible still in the bottom of timing chain cover. I am stumped never saw this before and ideas or suggestion's ? thank you Paul D

Had that happen too... but it was more closer to the mounting area, so obtaining the broken pieces was easy. Used a magnet on a flex rod to get the pin as it was still seen on the bottom of the cover. Replaced with new and never had it happen since.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 4:51pm
Question for Scotty.

I'm curious, didn't two rubber end gaskets come with the metal valley pan intake manifold gasket??

If not where did you get a metal intake gasket that didn't include the end gaskets?

And if you're not using the metal intake gasket, you will have trouble with the engine sucking oil into the cylinders through the PCV valve. There should also be a metal pan riveted to the bottom of the intake that covers the hole for the PCV valve.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Sep/29/2017 at 4:54pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic