TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Novak AX15 on a early 304

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novak AX15 on a early 304
    Posted: Jul/27/2019 at 12:53pm
Hey everybody,

My son has a 79 CJ7 that has a 304 I built almost 30 years ago. I'm not really sure of what I used, but it's a 3195527  70-75 block with a 70-71 crank that uses the early flywheel with the flange. It's a manual with the T-18 transmission and Dana 20 transfer case. It's a nice running little motor with a mild Comp Cam, Eldelbrock intake and the free flow manifolds and full 2.5 exhaust

We have the trans out now to replace the clutch and clean up some leaks and he has decided he would like to do the AX15 swap. NOVAK specs the 72-78 engine/bellhousing. I am unsure if their adapter will work with the early crank. I've studied NOVAK's website and talked to tech but they weren't sure either and couldn't tell me why they spec 72-78 belhousings and engines. The tech guy thought it might be the pilot bushing, but I worry about the depth of the crank flange in relation to the bellhousing and their adapter.

I hope it works because I don't relish the idea of putting that 150 lb tractor trans back in laying on my back!

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2019 at 2:30pm
Sigh. Back in the day Novak tech would have been able to sort this out for you.

I don't have any experience, but my opinion is that the manual transmission stick out did not change in 1972 when they made the crankshaft change for the BW automatics. I fully expect the pilot bushing they provide will NOT work with the flat flange crank.

I quote from this thread:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/how-to-find--bushing_topic78144. - http://theamcforum.com/forum/how-to-find-this-bushing_topic78144.html

Originally posted by bbgjc bbgjc wrote:

I sent Dave the info, but here it is for all.
1967 to 1971 engines use pilot bearing number PB-74  (flat crank engines)
1972 to 1976 engines use pilot bearing number PB-77  (which is the current version Dave has)
1973 to 1985 engines use pilot bearing number PB-76

I don't have the measurements, but could obtain them.

"Result" as Edd China would say.

You should be able to track down outer dimensions of those bushings and then have one made up to match the Novak ID.
Kreep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2019 at 2:34pm
I personally swapped a T-18a in after the T-176 in my CJ-7 fragged behind a six cylinder. I understand the desire to have an overdrive transmission, but I would hold on to the T-18 just in case the AX-15 doesn't hold up.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2019 at 2:49pm
I have an AX-15 in my 66 American with a 4.0 engine. I thought that first gear would be too low, but with a 3.15 rear gear it is pretty good. The 1 to 2 shift is similar to a 3 speed transmission in terms of how much the engine changes in RPMs. Jeeps use lower rear gears and taller tires, so it should be similar. I have known of AX-15 trannys that withstood serious punishment off road with big tires in low range, and that puts a lot of stress on the transmission.

Edited by 6768rogues - Jul/29/2019 at 2:52pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic