TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Not shifting into 3rd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jroland86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not shifting into 3rd
    Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 8:19am
I have a 65 Ambassador 990 convertible. Tranny is behind a 327. I just replaced the Modulator/solenoid cause it was leaking there and also hoped it would fix it not shifting into 3rd. But it didn't. It shifts from 1st to 2nd just fine but not 3rd. Any ideas? I checked the governor last night and it looked fine.

Edited by Jroland86 - Aug/16/2018 at 8:41am
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 9:15am
Which position are you starting out on?  If you start off in D2 the trans starts in 2nd gear and then shifts to 3rd.  Using D1 will get all 3 gears.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Jroland86 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jroland86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 9:18am
It's the flashomatic shift if that helps. So P,R,N,D,2,1. Shifter is on the floor
Jroland86 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jroland86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 9:20am
I've started out in D and it only shifts once into second. I've started in 1, then up to 2, then up to D did not shift after 2nd
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 9:51pm
90% sure your rear clutch is failed because the modulator leak let it run low on fluid.

Quit testing your car; that only makes it worse.

Drain the trans fluid and look for tiny metal particles (looks like glitter in the oil)

If so, your trans needs to be rebuilt...

At this point, I'd rather not have a private discussion in public.

Feel free to contact me through my website.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 6:37am
Flashomatic has P-R-N-D2-D1-L.  D2/D1 has a small 2 and 1 to the left and right of the D. This is column shift only though. The Shift Command floor shifted trans is P-R-N-D-2-1 and should shift as expected. I would try starting off in 2 and leaving it there, see if you can feel two shifts (1-2 shift will come fast, 10-20 mph). The transmission or the shifter may have been changed at some point over the last 53 years. You could have a Shift Command floor shifter with a Flashomatic transmission.

If that's not the case -- you don't get two up-shifts when in 2, amcenthusiast is most likely correct -- bad rear clutch. The only way to fix that is to tear down the trans and rebuild. Once verified that you don't have a Flashomatic (two shifts, 1-2, 2-3, in 2 position) you might want to either send him a PM or contact through his website for more info.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 12:25am
this is the vacuum-0modulator version of the Borg Warner auto, right? is the hose connected to a good vacuum source? and check that the vac mod unit doesn't leak vacuum -- suck on the hose or use a handheld vacuum pump...though it might not shift 1-2 if that were the case, but you never know.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 7:08am
Does the rear clutch affect reverse ? If not what would cause no upshift from 2 to 3 AND no reverse. The tranny was operating normally just before this occurance. 67 M-11 trans.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 11:46am
This is from a 1969 TSM:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic