TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Not running smooth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Sorry, you're right. I seem to have skipped over where he said "idles smoothly"
We all make mistakes, Ive done it too
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 8:04pm
I would retard the timing just a little, try that. If the vaccum advance is working, pull the hose and plug it and see what it does
notbillcosby View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notbillcosby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 10:52am
I have a '74 Gremlin 232 that's having the exact same issue as the OP. Let me make a quick disclaimer that I'm not too smart with cars but bought the Gremlin with the intent to learn. I know enough to sound like an idiot when I ask questions... So bear with me.

I bought this car a year ago, did a lot of stuff to it last summer, put it away for the winter, and brought it back out again this year. Last summer it had a huge stumble every time I accelerated from stop, to the point where it almost felt like it'd kill the engine when I'd start accelerating but then it'd catch itself and jump up in RPM to where it would've been had it been accelerating smoothly the whole time. The car also had a tendency to die several times when I'd start it for the first time each day, usually dying once I shifted into drive. Sometimes if I was really lucky, the stumble would kill the car at the end of my street when I was turning from a stop sign onto a much busier road, which was terrifying.

My dad knows cars and had been doing the work with me. We had replaced spark plugs and wires, and really a whole lot of other stuff. The timing was set correctly. This spring when I took the car back over to my dad's to take care of some things he advanced the timing considerably. The stumble is all but gone, but now I have this stammery sputtery problem that the OP was talking about. I'd rather have the engine sputter than have it hiccup every single time I accelerate, but man, can't I have both? I've looked hard for an EGR valve as that sounds like maybe maybe it could be culprit, but I'm either blind or my car doesn't have one.

Any tips or advice would be hugely appreciated!

Edited by notbillcosby - Jun/14/2015 at 11:08am
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 11:23am
Over-advanced timing can cause a rough engine under light load.

Light loads advance the timing, and if it goes too far the engine will shudder and shake. One load increases the timing retards and it runs better again.

Disconnecting and plugging the distributor vacuum line is a quick way to diagnose if that is indeed the problem.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 12:00pm
Back to basics.  Get the TSM for your car and do the tune up as stated in the TSM.   Google carbureted engine tune-up steps (or similar) or search on Youtube and see how various guys and gals have done it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by notbillcosby notbillcosby wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I have a '74 Gremlin 232 that's having the exact same issue as the OP. Let me make a quick disclaimer that I'm not too smart with cars but bought the Gremlin with the intent to learn. I know enough to sound like an idiot when I ask questions... I have both? I've looked hard for an EGR valve as that sounds like maybe maybe it could be culprit, but I'm either blind or my car doesn't have one

Sorry, I was unable to load an image that you would be able to use to help solve your problem.

Edited by uncljohn - Jun/15/2015 at 12:00am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2015 at 10:01am
If your 232 has an EGR valve it will be mounted on the side of the intake/exhaust manifold pointing toward the left inner fender. with a tube going to the intake manifold . chances are it was removed years ago as most were. and the holes plugged.
 the hesitation on acceleration can be the accelerator pump . either adjustment or worn. Or improper timing . either by too much advance or the vac advance leaking and not working properly .

71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic