TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No disc brake options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 1:11am
i ran rallies in my drilled drums -- no fade even on the infamous Tepesquet Canyon run, hard (OK hard by Rambler standards). i commuted 100 miles/day, LA to Irvine. no fade, amd they shed water far better than regular drums, comparable to discs. for such an easy mod -- and i never understood why OEMs didn't do it, it's trivial work -- you'd be surprised at how much better they are for so little effort.

oversized helps. the 9x2 drums up front are about motorcycle sized, today. the only reason gremlin/hornet/etc 9x2.5 drum setups would be hard to find is that everyone throws them out.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 9:00am
Drilled drums were the hot ticket in NASCAR right before modern disc brakes became available.

The real problem with drum brakes are people using terrible parts-store replacement shoes, and not bothering to make sure they are assembled and maintained correctly. With high quality shoes and proper adjustment, drum brakes can be surprisingly effective. Sometimes better than some of the terrible under-sized disc brake kits out there.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 9:45am
The standard size Scarebird discs WILL work. You might have to reverse the sides to move the calipers to hte rear, but that doesn't affect braking. I had Concord brakes on my 63 American (same front end as the 58-60). You can't mount the calipers to the front though.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 11:32pm
hey, sorry billd if i sounded like i was arguing with you. no argument at all, 100% it's a physical cause.

but i have seen drums cocked on the hub, badly.  pinched on the knurl/step at the protruding stud. i am not implying it's common, but neglect as the most common cause of brake trouble warrants close inspection of hard parts.

i would not deign to argue with your experience.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by IowaTom IowaTom wrote:

The helpful gentleman at Scarebird said I would have to bend part of the steering arms of my '59 Rambler to accommodate their disc setup and I really don't want to do that.

frank's observation made me look at your question anew -- precisely, what component interferes with the steering arms? they do look to have a longer bent end than the Americans...

if it's the rotor that interferes, well maybe that's the end of that. but as frank points out, you swap the brackets left to right and place the caliper to the rear on the pre-64 Americans, at least, and that solves the interference with that part. it also puts the hoses in a great spot on that chassis at least.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 6:25am
I may have to take my comment that the brakes will work back... I don't know for sure that the rotor diameter isn't an issue on the 50s big cars... but don't think it is. The Previa rotor is 11" in diameter (10.98", 278.9mm). Easy to check -- from center of spindle measure out toward the steering arm. You need about 5-3/4" to clear with no issues. That would give you 1/4" between edge of rotor and steering arm/tie-rod end. That's more than enough, I'd run with as little as 1/8" clearance, but would want at least that. 
Frank Swygert
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2018 at 11:22am
Figure I’d post a pic of my setup on my 59 rambler

The steering arm does clear the rotor which is about a 1/2” away from the rotor and it’s with the previa rotors too and celebrity calipers are mounted on the back.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

but i have seen drums cocked on the hub, badly.  pinched on the knurl/step at the protruding stud. i am not implying it's common, but neglect as the most common cause of brake trouble warrants close inspection of hard parts.

I've seen guys have trouble putting the wheels back on because the drum was "cocked", stuck on the hub center due to rust and extremely tight fit (rust, too many hammer blows, etc.) 
I guess anyone paying attention wouldn't let it happen, but hey - we all know that to expect everyone to pay perfect attention is sort of like expecting every kid to do their homework on time. (in my case, the cat barfed on it) LOL
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2018 at 7:36pm
Ramblage - looks like it was made for it or made that way. Good fit, easily enough clearance with rotors and steering, and the caliper is in a good place. Nice.
 Now I do have to ask - the bracket seems a bit, well, honestly, thin, to me. Doesn't it flex a bit under heavy braking? Or not? You'd likely know, especially with uneven wear patterns. 
I guess for as nice as things are - it just seems to me a bit, well, bluntly, thin. 
But then I can't see the span or other details, either, so it's an opinion based on an incomplete picture and looked at from afar. I do like the clean look in any case.
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2018 at 9:31pm
The plate does look kinda flimsy at a 1/4 thick but the pads are wearing evenly and it does brake pretty good under hard stop. Would be nice if it was thicker but it’s doing its job great
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic